Author Topic: The Real Cannonball ~ May 4th 2013 ~ Red Ball Garage, Manhattan, New York  (Read 17019 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
What are the differences between the Cannonball Run and "The Real Cannonball"?  As they both have "cannonball" in the name, one assumes there is some association from one to the other?

www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: The Real Cannonball ~ May 4th 2013 ~ Red Ball Garage, Manhattan, New York
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
What are the differences between the Cannonball Run and "The Real Cannonball"?  As they both have "cannonball" in the name, one assumes there is some association from one to the other?

Nobody owns the term "Cannonball" and anybody can use it just like the word "Race", "Best Race", "The Real Race", etc. etc. It has become generic.... The term Cannonball Run originated in Sri Lanka. They celebrated this yearly to commemorate a misfiring of a British cannon in the 1800's.   Then came Erwin "Cannon Ball" Baker in the 1900's who was a biker and became famous for his record setting point to point rides, speed runs, etc. Then came the movie, then the songs, the TV show......  

Come to think of it, I might suggest a similar race here and call it "The Real Real Cannonball"!!!....  ;D

There you go, Areomyst, "Cannon Ball Run" is the "Run" celebrated annually by diplomats which has nothing to do with the plain "Cannon Ball" which means basically the cannon's ammo... and other things... no need to be confused... those are scooter/motorcycles races with different organizers who just borrowed the term "Cannon Ball"  ;)

Beware of fake water..... ;D ;D ;D drink real water....

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:14:09 AM by Vivo »

bdrannik

• Southwest Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
I have yet to run any kind of long term event and do not have any position other than an admirer of those that have the ability to do so.  In both events there is a lot of hardship and effort to be put forth by the entrants and quite frankly the bickering by both sides in this thread is degrading to both races/rallies.

Scooterists tend to have somewhat of a group friendship/comradery ideology and many would appear to be participants for the "people & fun" aspects of whatever event they join.  So, I guess to summarize my late-night half-asleep babbling, "Can't we all just get along?"   :)

Definition of "fun" in paragraph above: The random moments of enjoyment amid the hours of agony in a ride this long..

Nice meeting you folks - your disagreement was by far the most well-spoken and cordial I've read on these forums.

Have a good night - Brent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:39:08 AM by bdrannik »
2011 DT300i - Givi Windshield - HID 5K Low/High Beams - LED Tail/Turn/License Bulbs - Front signal mirrors converted to running lights/signal - Dummy bulbs to LED 5K white running light/amber signals -  Givi E55 w/Admore LED Kit & custom paint - Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm - NGK CR7EIX - Amsoil Synthetics

jetblast

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
The Real Cannonball ~ Red Ball Garage, Manhattan,New York

Will be the greatest scooter race staged in US history of scooter racing. It is put on by a former Grand Prix motorcycle racer,Alan Spears, CEO of Motor-Scooter International Land Speed Fereration. There has never been a motorcycle racer of his level of experience who has crossed over to scooter racing.

It is non stop "balls to the wall" coast to coast. It is for serious experienced road racers.

Jetblast

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:17:50 PM by jetblast »

bdrannik

• Southwest Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
Why run The Real Cannonball in 2013 in Class III (176cc to 300cc) or Class IV (301cc to 650cc) when you can start yet another event and race without insurance or sanction? You can't fix terminal stupidity!
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic23692.html

I just finished reading the link provided and you do need insurance for that event:

"2D. All riders must have liability insurance as required in their home state, and valid in all states through which the route passes."

I'd like to ride in one of these events sometime in the next year or two.   Now with the rule change (I'd be riding at least a 300cc class) of the Cannonball it looks like your Real Cannonball or the Gumball are the only two choices for my consideration...

I am new to this type of event so still doing a lot of research/reading about how to prepare equipment, route planning, etc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:22:41 AM by bdrannik »
2011 DT300i - Givi Windshield - HID 5K Low/High Beams - LED Tail/Turn/License Bulbs - Front signal mirrors converted to running lights/signal - Dummy bulbs to LED 5K white running light/amber signals -  Givi E55 w/Admore LED Kit & custom paint - Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm - NGK CR7EIX - Amsoil Synthetics

That Scooter Guy

• Blister in the Sun
    • View Profile
    • Little Egypt Scooter Club
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
Our event is not a race. In less than two days we have already received impressive levels of interest, commitments to participate, and media attention.

Alan, I chuckle every time you bring up the sanctioning stuff. You make it sound like the clouds parted and the almighty approving light of the FIM has beamed down on you. No, it's you and Bill.

jetblast

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
How interesting that the Scooter Cannonball 2014 changed the rules. I am laughing my ass off. A guy takes the rule book and builds a machine around it and comes in first in the pajama party rally and HE  is criticized. He was accused of cheating and streaching the rules...imagine that! This is what they have been doing at Bonneville for 50 years. I congratulate the winner with his modified Salsbury Imperial Rocket, Model 85 for finishing first. Scooter Cannonball is now like NASCAR...where innovation and enginuity of the individual is surpressed.

The Real CannonbaLL Coast to Coast Trophy Dash...for serious endurance road racers it is not a sight seeing tour, joy ride or "lets all get together" bunny fun event.

jetblast
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:31:48 PM by jetblast »

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
    • Motor-Scooter International
Lee B's Salisbury and 2012 Scooter Cannonball
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
Captain,

I've got a reply to your comments, but I'm posting it to http://therealcannonball.proboards.com/index.cgi.

Regards,

Alan
Alan Spears, Scootermeister
Motor-Scooter International Land-Speed Federation
(619) 852-6985
www.motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
The Real Cannonball ~ May 4th 2013 ~ Red Ball Garage, Manhattan, New York
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
Areomyst,

The difference between The Real Cannonball and www.scootercannonball.com is covered in the following disclaimer I use on my Facebook page:

"The Real Cannonball, sanctioned by Motor-Scooter International Land-Speed Federation, is not affiliated with www.scootercannonball.com, an 8-day timed/scored rally in which "[p]articipation is limited to scooters with an engine displacement not more than 250cc" held in even numbered years."

Here's the real distinction between The Real Cannonball and www.scootercannonball.com: From the blogs I’ve read about scootercannonball, the majority of riders participate in that event to enjoy the cross-country scenery and camaraderie. I applaud these riders for their tenacity. Based on the defamatory rhetoric on this and other forums in months past, I realize there’s an inner group of self-perceived racers in the scootercannonball rally -- not one of whom has the balls to challenge MSILSF extreme endurance racers in The Real Cannonball ~ World’s Most Extreme Motor-Scooter Endurance Race!

Regards,

Alan
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:57:38 PM by idefendm »
(619) 852-6985

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
Parting of the clouds
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
That Scooter Guy,

Your remark, ". . . You make it sound like the clouds parted and the almighty approving light of the FIM has beamed down on you. . . .", has some merit. The FIM issued me no less than nine (9) professional racing licenses, four of which were "Green Stamp". You may look, but not touch them at www.cr500g.com. I won't presume you know the difference in the FIM stamp colors because you're apparently unaware of the fact, easily deduced from the name Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme, the FIM doesn't sanction extreme motor-scooter endurance road racing. But now, with the Internet, you can no doubt look it up and be an even greater authority on the subject. There's one thing you won't be an authority on, and that is The Real Cannonball. The reason for that is, despite the extensive blogging on the Internet, you don't and won't have a MSILSF Cometition License to race this event.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:57:40 PM by idefendm »
(619) 852-6985

That Scooter Guy

• Blister in the Sun
    • View Profile
    • Little Egypt Scooter Club
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »
Congratulations on all your licenses.

I don't have a blog so you must have me confused with someone else.

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
Bill Murar is closing motorcycle entries as of April 15th. MSILSF is closing scooter entries as of Midnight, March 31st. NO LATE ENTRIES PLEASE. The website's on-line entry page will be shut down. This race has been posted for a very long time. If you're thinking about entering, but aren't 100% positive you can make it, please enter before the entry site goes off-line. I'm going to be racing this event, and may even be riding to New York, in which case I'll be in the wind sometime during the third week of April.
(619) 852-6985

captainscott

• you meet the best people on a 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Good luck in the race Scootermeister and may the force be with you.

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
The Real Cannonball ~ May 4th 2013 ~ Red Ball Garage, Manhattan, New York
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
Thank you very much, Captain Scott. I've done my best to post to the forums, but the most complete info about The Real Cannonball is posted to my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/Scootermeister.spears. If you're interested in this race, and can't find the info you're looking for on the forums, please send me e-mail and I'll endeavor to get the data to you. I may be reached at msilsf@yahoo.com. Regards, Alan (aka Scootermeister)
(619) 852-6985

idefendm

• Scootermeister
    • View Profile
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT Re The Real Cannonball
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
Racer,

Great news! An extremely generous anonymous donor has donated One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) prize money to be split amongst the First Place Motor-Scooter Winners in each of the five classes:

Class I: (50cc to 100cc)
Class II: (101cc to 175cc)
Class III: (176cc to 300cc)
Class IV: (301cc to 650cc)
Class V: (651cc to 850cc)

Sidecars are not eligible to participate in this prize money.

It has not yet been determined whether there must be three entries to constitute a class.

This means the 1st Place Overall Winner will receive at least $200.00, quite possibly more, in addition to the $1,000,00 prize money posted by MSILSF Executive Vice-President Lew Laurito.

Please remember that entries close March 30th at Midnight, after which entries will not be accepted, period! Please attend to this now if you want to race. You may enter at http://www.motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org/, or at http://www.meetup.com/Beach-Cities-Scooter-Club/events/55416082/.

Thank you very much for your continuing enthuisiasm and competitive spirit.

Regards,

Alan
(619) 852-6985

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()