Author Topic: Tires on my super8  (Read 8470 times)

warriorboxerdog

• View Profile
Tires on my super8
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
I got a nail in my front tire today. I was able to plug it and inflate it and its holding air. So I decided to inspect the rear tire while it was on the service stand. pon inspection it apears the rear tire is cracking were the treas is and coming apart. It's not dry rotted it looks like someone to a razer blade and cut little slits on the part that contacts the road. Note I just bought my scooter in about 6 months ago it is garage kept and has never sen rain. This is a quality issue! The back tire also has a nasty vibration if you go over 30mph. With only going over a little more then 1200 mi and paying 2400.00 after dealer costs you would think the tires would have held up longer then they did! Now I have to spend extra money that I shouldn't have to on new tires due to the fact that kymco cut corners by using generic tires! I'm going to get the Pirelli Diablo Scooter Tire - front and rear tires. They are going to set me back a 145.00. The bottom line is if you buy a kymco plan on spending money on replacing the tire because the ones from the factory suck! :-[

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Tires on my super8
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
I would limit that complaint to your specific scooter, since I'm on my 2nd Kymco, and while
one DID come with low quality tires (Agility 125, CST tires), they did not crack or wear
unevenly or show any other faults when I replaced them in 2010.

At that time, the scooter was 4 years old, has sat on on a showroom floor for 2 years
and I've put 7000km on it from 2008 to 2010 before replacing them, purely because I
wanted more grip since I ride all year round.

On the other hand, the Kenda tires that I got with my Downtown 300 are great.
I've also ridden a test bike with 6000km on the same Kenda tires and was amazed
with the grip. I did NOT expect that. I got worse tires on my 650cc Kawasaki!

p.s. Cracked sidewalls usually happen because of under-inflation.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
 Pirelli Diablo Scooter Tire - front and rear tires. They are going to set me back a 145.00.
Try Bike Bandit http://www.bikebandit.com/pirelli-scooter-tires/n1348-4294966354-4294965264   Best Pirelli prices in the US.
I just got a pair of 130x70x12" for 92.00 shipped
Mention the forum. I told them I would advert. for them
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
How do you like those diablos zombie? I bought this for my rear tire: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Y401NC/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

Very similar tread pattern. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet. Great dry traction but I don't know about wet. I ride extra extra careful in the rain anyway, so I haven't pushed it. I don't really think any of these sport tires have good wet traction. I looked at those diablos but they didn't have a 120/80-16 rear. They do have a wider than stock 100/80-16 for the front. Still have good tread on my stock front tire though.

I love the extra width. It barely fit. I had to cut off some of the inner fender to make it work.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
Wider is better! I like the Pirellis. It took a while to tune them to the scoot tho. They run at 41psi cold, and felt like solid rubber to me. I now run the rear at 36psi, and the front at 34 (same tire on both)
I considered the shinko but couldn't find any REAL reviews. Look up your tire sizes at Bike Bandit. They have the BEST prices I could find, and I spend HOURS looking for deals.
Oh yeah the Pirelli's are terrific in wet conditions. It's been rain/fog for the past 2 weeks here ALL DAY EVERY DAY. The Avon Vipers felt softer on dry roads but were like steel on concrete in the wet conditions. As long as I get 1 year out of the Pirellis I will stick w/ them
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
Ps... Kenda's SU(K. Non fuel proof rubber on a TIRE!

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »
Yeah, I know the Kendas suck.

I considered the shinko but couldn't find any REAL reviews. Look up your tire sizes at Bike Bandit.

Great reviews: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/20389/ITEM/Shinko-SR568R-Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx
No complaints from me yet

I did look up 16" tires on bikebandit. Filtered down to
Rear:
http://www.bikebandit.com/120-80-16-scooter-tires/n1348-4294966354-4294966396-4294966174
Front:
http://www.bikebandit.com/100-80-16-scooter-tires/n1348-4294966354-4294966396-4294966003

These Michelins look interesting. http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-city-grip-scooter-tire No 120/80-16. I'm a sucker for Michelins on cars and trucks. They're usually expensive but worth it. BFG sucks almost as much as Goodyear(IMAO)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:49:59 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:49 PM »
The city grip was actually my second choice if they didn't have the Pirellis in stock. 3rd would have been the no sidewall pirellis. (?26/?36). I kinda like the "fat " look tho. (just on bikes)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:19 AM »
I got my agilty 50 back in 07 and just replaced theam last summer with kendas also.I love theam they
are the same tire you would see on the honda ruckus. I ride all year and they are good for all seasons.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:01:18 AM »
Just don't spill fuel on them. They swell like balloons on the affected area. Takes weeks for it to return to normal

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
Just don't spill fuel on them. They swell like balloons on the affected area. Takes weeks for it to return to normal

you shoulden be washing your tires with fuel they make soap for that.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:20:28 AM »
Well the big advantage is if you don't like the result just drop a match, and walk...
Really tho...I had a leak at the petcock, and the fuel drained on the top of the tire soaking the whole thing. When I rode off in the morning the rubber separated from the carcass. I was a rubber shell on top of an inflated poly tire.
No more Kendas for me. Not on a 60mph+ scoot anyway

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:32 AM »
mmmm my scoot has a drip pan under the petcock that stops gas from going on my tires.
theres even a over flow pan if I fill to full at the pump it well dran to the side.

warriorboxerdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:34:20 AM »
I just ordered a set of perelli diablo tires from my local scooter shop. I used perelli's on race cars and race bikes so I think they should work well for scooters. I will write a full review on the tires and post it. I will also update it through out the tires lfe. It should be interesting to see how they hold up and how they are in wet weather. I hate the stock tires! The vibrate the scooter if I go above 40 mph, They suck and skid in the rain and the ruber is seperating on both tires. Niether are dry rotted and niether have cam in contact with gas.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »
I for one am eager to see your opinion. What size are you using? I don't want to influence your opinion so I will simply wait...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()