Author Topic: (SOLD) Liquid Cooled Super 9, $800  (Read 4102 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
(SOLD) Liquid Cooled Super 9, $800
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
Up for grabs, is the blue Super 9 shown below.  The red one is already gone.

Runs good.    Engine has been broken in easy since rebuild, and has over 600 miles on it. Please note that you must use 92/93 octane fuel with this engine.

Heidenau K61 tires, front and rear were installed 600 miles (960ish km) ago. Tires alone retail around $130 not including shipping and labor to install.

Check out all the photos.  If there are any questions, please ask.  

Here is the engine rebuild:
http://scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3072

Quote from: Areomyst
So I ended up doing some repair work on an old Kymco Super 9.  These older ones were liquid cooled, and had rear disc brakes.  Today good condition LC Super 9's are pretty well sought after as they were a pretty tough and well-performing scooter for the 50cc market in the United States.

So, I got to work on the engine.  The owner said that he had a shop look at it, and they said the piston and cylinder were trashed. I did a leak-down test on the engine.  The leak down test showed an air leak in the engine.  I couldn't find the leak immediately, so I had to take the CVT apart, so I could check the CVT side crank seal.  When I took the variator out, I was a little bummed.  The variator was trashed!  Luckily I had a used spare that was in good condition:

Sure enough, the leak was at the crankshaft seal:

I tugged all around the crankshaft, and couldn't feel any play, but when I removed the seal, I got a pleasant (or unpleasant actually) surprise!

Yep!  That's a piece of the main bearing cage...

So, at this point we know we're in for a nice big job...  While I decide the best course of action in the back of my head, I figured I may as well tear down the rest of the engine, and see what else needs to be replaced.  Perhaps the shop was wrong, and the piston/cylinder were okay?

Not likely...  The previous shop was right about the piston and cylinder.  Both were trashed.  Below are photos of the piston.  Guess I didn't have the heart to take photos of the cylinder...

Cool!  Trashed top end.  Trashed bottom end.  Trashed variator...  What now?

Well, a couple years back I bought a wrecked Super 9.  It had a good engine with some 3000 miles on it, but the piston, cylinder, etc, had been robbed.  The block was a good candidate though.  It had a good crank, with good bearings and seals.

So, that said, out with the old uglydirtybrokenengine!

To go on the donor block, we needed a top end.  We had a 47mm cylinder and piston that were usable, but no head...  So I took a stock head to the machine shop, borrowed my friend Dan's lathe, and cut the head to fit the 47mm bore.  The original was 39mm...  More on the head work in this thread: http://scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3055  Anyway, no, it's not perfect but you know what?  It works.  

So, with the head done, it was time to begin assembling the "new" engine.  I started by getting the cylinder mounted to the donor block.  Then I assembled  the piston stop and degree wheel.

I rotated the engine around until the engine stopped.  Then I set the degree wheel to zero.  Following that, I rotated the crank around in the other direction, and took note of the reading (47 degrees BTDC).

I then divided 47 in half, to get 23.2.  I reset the degree wheel to 23.2 BTDC, and rotated it back around the opposite direction to verify the same measurement ATDC.  Now the degree wheel is set up.

Now that I had the degree wheel set up, I could easily rotate the engine around to true top dead center, and measure the combustion chamber volume.  This was important, since I had just machined a new head...  I had to make sure this thing would run safely on pump gas.

Here, you can see just a bit of grease on the piston.  This seals up nicely so that the fluid used for measuring doesn't leak past the rings, and cause an inaccurate reading.

The engine is upright, held in a vice with lead jaws (so it doesn't damage the engine).  I can pour fluid from a graduated burette into the spark plug hole to measure the combustion chamber volume.  I just needed a rough idea of the combustion chamber volume... I filled the fluid to the bottom of the spark plug hole, and left the extra volume around the spark plug as a "safe margin".  Normally, you would fill to the top of the plug hole, then subtract the displacement of the spark plug for a more accurate measurement.  Combustion chamber volume was (approximately) 5.5 cc.

So after a little bit of math, I found the compression ratio to be about 14.5:1.  Because I didn't include the volume around the insulator of the plug, the actual compression ratio is a little lower than that... but still, I feel confident that this liquid cooled engine can safely run on 92 octane pump gas.

Next, was checking the squish clearance.  I took the flywheel off the old block, then used a special tool to give me some leverage when crushing the solder that I had taped to the piston before torquing the head back down:

Before final assembly, I gave the cylinder a quick hone with a flex-hone (sometimes called a ball hone, or dingleberry hone):

Following that, I did a port map, for future reference.  The exhaust is a bit low, but for a low RPM street scoot, it'll live.

Then, before assembling the transmission and such, I did a leak down pressure test.  Here's the start...

I got sidetracked on the phone or something, and by the time I got back to the engine, a bit more time had passed:

Needless to say, the engine had no air leaks.  I was ready to start really getting it back together now...  The CVT cover was dirty, so I cleaned it up:

Assembled the transmission:

Got the new cover on:

And got the fresh engine into the scooter.

The coil mount needed to be tapped:

And the water pump needed to be rebuilt:

I ended up getting a new water pump to go on the scooter.  The original exhaust was blocked so badly that the bike wouldn't run, so I found a donor for that too... I didn't get photos of that, but I'm sure you're tired of looking at my photos by now...  The following is a photo just as it was put back together (less water pump and exhaust):

Since this rebuild, the owner has reported no issues, and feels that the bike runs pretty well.  Off the line power is above average, and it cruises easily at 45mph.  Many 70cc+ kits will do that, and better, but this is a lower end, low RPM deal... Plus, it was mostly built with odd used parts that I had laying around the shop. :)  In the future, the exhaust, carburetor, and transmission may be upgraded.  Who knows?  Perhaps there'll be a cylinder port job in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far.  I hope you've enjoyed it!

~Josh
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:47:21 PM by Areomyst »
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid Cooled Super 9, $800
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
..I want it!!..have cash in hand!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
..I want it!!..have cash in hand!!!

Come on and get it sir.  I just rode it about 20 miles last night. :)  Also, I'd love for you to see my shop, mess though it is...

~Josh

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
as soon as i can arrange me a truck, i'll be there..

..i'd like to see th TSG!

;D

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Scooter is sold. :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: (SOLD) Liquid Cooled Super 9, $800
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:55 AM »
I KNEW it was U bitch! Watcha gonna dew? Put it in the pile?
Luv U!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:49 AM »
Damn Slinger , ya going to start breeding them are what ? Enjoy and good luck . Let us know when a litter is due .

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
Let us know when a litter is due

..lmao..im trying to cross-breed these bitches..wanna 2t a50 with 16" wheels...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
I KNEW it was U bitch! Watcha gonna dew? Put it in the pile?
Luv U!

..i got your pile right here.....   ;)

..z, i'm headin down to the swampy state..we can see who's s9 is the fastest..  :o

..oh..wait.....you don't have an s9 do you....dang...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
Let us know when a litter is due

..lmao..im trying to cross-breed these bitches..wanna 2t a50 with 16" wheels...

Hrm...

I've got a spare People block, needs rebuilt... I've got spare 16" People wheels... The hardest part of the swap would be engine mounts.  You'd have to find a local shop willing to fab up some  new ones, since the Agility has a bottom mount engine, and the People is top mount.  Wiring harness will needs a little tweaking, but not much.

If Wordslinger didn' buy this I was going to ride it to Charlotte tomorrow! Guess I'll ride my People instead.  If I even go... Too much work to justify closing up for a day I suppose.

~Josh

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
I've got a spare People block, needs rebuilt... I've got spare 16" People wheels

..i too have a parts ppl..engine has only 2500 kms on it...needs top end...and a lot of other work (frame, steering bearings)...

..that would be awesome tho, because my a50 is my most comfortable to ride scoot...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
Where when in Fl. Bro!
 I'd love to chill!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()