Author Topic: 39-41 Degrees Out With My 300i  (Read 4682 times)

Syl

• View Profile
39-41 Degrees Out With My 300i
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
It was a bright sunny day, clear sky, no snow or rain, no wind and an inviting day for a much awaited winter ride. Well with the 300 shielding most of the legs, the windshield covering approximately to neck level, helmet with the 3/4 face shield, linered jacket, good gloves and the desire to get out, it was for a great afternoon!. Wasn't cold other than just a bit under the jaw area. The bright sun helped one think it was a cool summer day only. I was surprised in not seeing any other 2 wheelers of kind on the road but I didn't let it bother me. Camera gear in my side cases went along the river and other places just enjoying the day. Reading about riders going out on cold days, I decided to try it and was not sorry. If I didn't have all the shielding, I would have been cold,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 39-41 Degrees Out With My 300i
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
A TRUE Scooter-er-ist. The generally run better in the cold dense air.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
If you bundle properly the 39-41f is fine to ride in. Especially on a good sunny day too. Below those temps and I will tend to stay away............

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
If you like to ride in on cool/cold sunny days, a thin full head cover, full face helmet, gauntlets, and a snow mobile suit works great.
This gear will increase your riding season.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »
For some reason, a full helmet restricts my breathing to a point besides everything fogging up. I have the Fulmer helmet with the double shield visors, tinted and clear which the clear covers 3/4 of my face. Further, I ordered another same thing for any riders I may have. I also put on the quick release strap.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
A balaclava is what you need.  I just got one and luv it.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »
"A balaclava"
Believe it or not... They are illegal in New York City! Anything that covers your face. Come on now "big brother"!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
A balaclava is what you need.  I just got one and luv it.

Richard L.

Yea, that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned a full head cover.
Did not know how to pronounce or spell. :-\
The the nylon type work surprisingly well and don`t break your ears like the thick ones do.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
Yea, that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned a full head cover.
Did not know how to pronounce or spell. :-\
The the nylon type work surprisingly well and don`t break your ears like the thick ones do.
You pronounced it just fine.  Soon as you said it, I knew what you meant.  lol :)
Richard L. in Bellmawr

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
fshfindr....thanks for that name! when I was young and in shape, I swam, and did some scuba diving and bragging a bit, used to be able to hold my breath...timed at 3 minutes 14 seconds. At my older age today!....I never try to hold my breath for time being I don't think I want to try for even a minute! Anyway, full face mask or my new word "balaclava", either give me a blocked breathing feeling. Probably could try breathing through my nose only but through all the sports and all sorts of bumps, that's not easy. Maybe I should carry my tanks for breathing! Really I stopped diving years ago and had my experiences. I guess I have to keep hoping for half decent weather like at least 40 degrees with clear sky and sun!

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
A good full face and scarf around the neck should do. That is along with proper layering of clothing etc. With proper layering I could survive high 30's but I refuse lower temps.

Not that I couldn't bundle up but am afraid or frozen roads. It is bad enough in a cage but I've been there before on a bike and do not know if my bowles would hold this time..................

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
 I guess I have to keep hoping for half decent weather like at least 40 degrees with clear sky and sun!
[/quote]
40F is my limit too.  I have no trouble covering my nose with balaclava.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:12:17 AM »
 "I have no trouble covering my nose with balaclava."
~Too easy~

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »
I used a balaclava (if that's what it's called)! the other day to clear snow while it being a very cold, snowy, windy day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Glad you brought that up so now I will attempt to use it on the scooter even though I thought restricting my breathing would be bad. I still have my Military Fatigue Jacket w/liner and winter shooters gloves and the cold was not a factor, age was though! Thanks!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
This unpredictable weather...... a couple days were 45-50 degrees with the sun in and out and not feeling too bad thinking to scoot to work but......by 4-4:30 the sun goes totally hidden the wind picks up (cold) and it just don't feel as comfortable as the 39-41 degree day with no wind and the sun out all day with clear sky. Tried it once with the chancy sun and that was the last time until Spring/Summer. I envy the warm weather bike states!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()