Author Topic: First few hundred miles on a used People S 200  (Read 1827 times)

MikeSSS

• View Profile
First few hundred miles on a used People S 200
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
This S 200 had 15xx miles on it when I got it and looked pretty good.  Here are the initial observations:

Keeping up with traffic on suburban roads is not a problem at all, this surprised me in a good way.  Acceleration is very good and so is ability to maintain speed on gentle hills.  I weigh about 240 with helmet and full pockets and then there is the lock and cable under the seat.  The S 200 has no problem carrying this load.

Ride is harsh, but I just set the preload on the rear springs from second from the least to the very least, that helped.  The stiff suspension is probably good for cornering but not so good where the tv cable company has cut across the road every hundred feet.  

Starting is easy, I twist the grip a couple times when it is cold, then close it and the motor starts fast.  Holding the grip open a bit seems best when the motor is hot.

The S 200 is the same vehicle as the S 125 but with a larger bore diameter that gives it a 163cc engine size.    Think of it as a 125 with a strong engine.  Or, think of it as a good running 250 lb scoot.  This scoot is probably near the upper limit in power for a flat floor chassis.  

Top speed and mpg?  I don't know but both are probably better than the Lambretta Li 150 I had back in the day.  The Lambretta was more fun though because of the 4 speed manual transmission.  

The S 200 isn't one of the "cool" scooters, like the Vespa PX, Stella or the old Lambrettas.  It is a lot like the scoots you see in Italy today and in the vids from Taiwan and Viet Nam.  This is a modern transportation machine and rides like it.

Twist n Go was different at first, this isn't the first bike I've ridden with it but a foot brake and shifting still seems more natural.  It is sort of like getting used to an automatic transmission on a car, it's different but not difficult.

The passenger foot rests fold out so the passenger does not have to sit pigeon toe.    

Problems?  Nope.    Fun?  Yep!    Buy again?  Probably, but I do like the Reflex, Helix and others.  Most of these are in the 350 lb range and that sort of defeats the light, nimble scooter concept.  I do like the Honda SH 150i but at 2X+ the price used, well, I don't like it two times as much.

Ride on!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:29:46 AM by MikeSSS »

abobotek

• View Profile
Re: First hundred miles on a used People S 200
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »

Ride is harsh, but I just set the preload on the rear springs from second from the least to the very least, that helped.  The stiff suspension is probably good for cornering but not so good where the tv cable company has cut across the road every hundred feet. 

What's the front and rear tire pressure?  Too much air will make the ride unpleasant.  When I bought mine, the front was overinflated, and the ride was harsh.   A little less air made an amazing difference. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

MikeSSS

• View Profile
Re: First few hundred miles on a used People S 200
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
Thanks, Abobotek

Yes, the tires were over inflated.  After adjusting them to the proper inflation levels the ride is much better.  Thanks.

Gas mileage for the first three measured tanks was 70, 62.5, 75 mpg US gallons.  The 62.5 came from riding mostly short trips in the neighborhood.  The 75 included a 60 mile back road trip, mostly ridden at about 42 mph indicated. 

A tall windshield made for the People S series has been installed.  Now my head is in a turbulence free, dead air space.  Wind noise is very low but I now hear the engine and transmission, they are not very loud.  The dealer, The Motorcycle Shop, here in San Antonio got the windshield for me.  It fit very well and was very easy to install.  Cost was about $110, including tax.  The back road trip was ridden with the windshield installed, it probably slows the Peep some but I really don't know, having not tried top speed running.

A folded messenger bag fits well under the seat, it is convenient for carrying stuff home.  In the seat compartment with the bag is a tire repair kit and an electric tire pump, as well as a cable and lock and a few other things.  The S 200 has good under seat space.

Well, so far I'm loving the S 200!

Have fun,

Mike

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: First few hundred miles on a used People S 200
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
Mike,
welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear you like your People s200! I thind the People is a very cool scooter! I don't pay attention to those vintage scooter folks when they give me a hard time about the modern KYMCO (as I've been riding vintage scooters longer than most of them). Scoot On!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()