Author Topic: Just bought People 250 S  (Read 48977 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Just bought People 250 S
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
Next task: tire change.
Just arrived two Continental ContiTwist tires by DHL. (93 EUR/pair w. shipping)
Scoot has 13.600 kms and tires are quite flat because I drive daily 25 kms to work and back and there are no many bends on the way, so the tires are worn in the mid-section and almost new around the edges.

Now I have to see how to replace them because tire change mechanics do not want to deal with scoots because it is complicated, they prefer cars...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:56:56 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
I found a mechanic willing to change the tires. Brought the tires home from work yesterday, drove to the mechanic (just 2 kms away!!!) and it was done today after I came from work. I paid around 28 EUR for the service which is nothing compared to what I would have to do (disassemble front wheel, go to have the tire changed, assemble front wheel, repeat the same with the rear tire - I realized it would take 20 man-hours to complete the task myself and gave up).

While it was all disassembled, I told them to replace the brake pads if they are worn and the front ones were - I bought the replacements this winter. It is interesting that OEM front pads lasted "only" 13.800 kms. Agility's are still in great shape after 23.000 kms. Also, my experience with Beverly 200 is that front pads should be replaced after approx. 20.000 kms. I do not use the brake that much, so this was a surprise.

Another surprise are screws that are holding the brake calipers. You can still see blue Loctite-like stuff on them, put in the factory. I remind you, this is the FIRST time after the factory that brakes were touched. The screw thread on both front calipers was completely worn! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, ARE THEY IN KYMCO IDIOTS WITHOUT QUALITY CONTROL, OR AM I UNIQUE AND END UP WITH LOW QUALITY SEMI-PRODUCTS. This is downright dangerous, this is not some non-important part of the scooter/bike. The screws are replaced with new ones now. If I remember correctly, Jprestonian also had problems with his calipers on classic P250 (not S).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
Worn thread on disk caliper screws pic #1
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
Worn thread on disk caliper screws pic #2  ??? :-X :-\ :o
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
I will try to change coolant this afternoon.

The manual says nicely "Reinstall the radiator cap. If there are bubbles in the coolant, bleed air from the system."

Great.

But, how to bleed it? The manual does not show if there are air bleeds/bolts in the system.

Are there and where?

Tnx.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
I think you bleed it from the the overflow reservoir in the faring and not the radiator proper.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
I almost went crazy.

1. After draining 1.4 l of old coolant, I was not able to fit more than 0.3 l of new coolant, it would overflow. I managed to do that only after removing the seat (this is not written in the Chinglish-semi-useless service manual, and it is not reported ANYWHERE on this forum or other forums!!!) and locating the thin overflow tube, just next to the engine temperature sensor in the cylinder head. I have managed to squeeze out the air pocket only after turning on the engine, revving for some time and at the same time, pouring new coolant using funnel in the radiator! It took me two and half hours to disassemble everything and put everything back together. Good that I did not have anything better to do so I spent 4 hours of my life today on these two things...

2. After checking some other things on the scoot, I became convinced that Kymco made sure to make any kind of maintenance on purpose difficult or impossible for the user. For example, to change blinker lights you have to remove completely the front fairing because they are screwed to the fairing from underneath, instead of putting screws to be accessible from outside like on most other scoots. Furthermore, I stripped down all bolts from the cvt cover and found out that the last, 10th bolt is almost impossible to remove because you cannot fit the wrench on the bolt from anywhere. Again, I have removed the seat and barely managed to access the bolt from above. It took me 30 minutes to remove ONE SINGLE BOLT because I had to move it milimeter by milimeter because there is no space. It is dark outside now and tomorrow I will try to disassemble the belt and change it, even though I do not know how I will block the drive pulley. It looks good but it is 22.5 mm wide (22 mm is service width), and I do not want to go through all this again any time soon.

Tomorrow I will try to change brake oil. OF COURSE, on most scoots, little reservoirs on handlebars can be accessed even when the tupperware is on. Not on Kymco, not only it is under the handlebar cover, but you have to remove BOTH front AND rear side of the cover in order to access them.

I am becoming more and more frustrated by Kymco as the time goes, for many different reasons.

Here are some pics of the infamous vario cover bolt, of the tube I used to bleed out air etc.

Oh, did you know that set of bolts (can be bought only as a set) for CVT cover is 55 US$, and three times that in my country? INSANE!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:03:29 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
Back to the solitude of my thread/diary.
Today I spent the time between 10.30 am and 7 pm (!) working on scoots. Everything aches.

1. It took me 1,5 hours to disassemble the upper front fairing including windshield, removal of both rear view mirrors, additional installation for heated handgrips etc. I swear, Kymco engineers are complete morons. I did that only to be able to change brake oil. It took me 0,5 hour to remove three bolts that hold the front light to the metal plate inside because there is no place to place the wrench of my arms (cut all over by plastic parts). Changed brake oil without problems.

2. Another 0,5 hour to put everything back.

3. Broke THREE FINS of the face plate of the front pulley trying to loosen the central bolt to change the belt. I tried to block it by using a piece of wood (snapped the first fin!!!), then a screwdriver, as everybody on Internet/forums/You Tube does (snapped next two fins!!!!!!). Went crazy, just cleaned the vario and cover and put everything back together. I will buy the holder tool from scooterpartsmania, because the belt is not in bad condition, it is still above specs.

4. Disassembled exhaust cans and shieldings/caps from both Agility and People, cleaned the rust and sprayed three times with black heat resistant color.

5. Renewed black parts of both scoots with black-plastic-finish renewer.

My back aches, my shoulders, lower back, everything hurts...

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

misu

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread. :)

keep posting. i'm learning a lot following your thread.

was considering the people 300gti next year and still am, but this is educational not just re: kymcos but scooter maintenance in general. 

i had heard aprilia/piaggos were fairly difficult to service compared to vespas.  sounds like kymco's are worse.  i'm currently on a honde elite/lead 110 and am only comfortable doing oil changes and simple battery tender/horn replacement.  haven't tried a valve adjustments, coolant/brake fluid changes...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2011, 02:56:51 AM »
I just now saw this thread.  ;)  Axy, welcome to the sore back, arm, hand, knuckle club!  :D  Those same tasks on my 500 are just about the same as what you've encountered.   I think those videos and advice about vario nuts are from guys who already loosened the nut many times previously and never really put it back as tight as it should be.  Mine was incredibly tight and never would have come loose without the holder I purchased. 

Do you think you should snap a few fins on the pulley 180 degrees opposite the ones which broke to keep it balanced?  Or maybe epoxy the broken fins back on?  I don't know -- just wondering.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
I just now saw this thread.  ;)  Axy, welcome to the sore back, arm, hand, knuckle club!  :D  Those same tasks on my 500 are just about the same as what you've encountered.   I think those videos and advice about vario nuts are from guys who already loosened the nut many times previously and never really put it back as tight as it should be.  Mine was incredibly tight and never would have come loose without the holder I purchased. 

Do you think you should snap a few fins on the pulley 180 degrees opposite the ones which broke to keep it balanced?  Or maybe epoxy the broken fins back on?  I don't know -- just wondering.

I saved the broken fins and plan to try to glue them back on when I buy the holder tool and tear everything again apart. Or buy a new faceplate.
Question: does your holder tool look like this: http://www.scooterpartsmania.com/gy6-50cc-variator-remover-puller-tool88382-p-1928.html
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
No but that one looks like it should work fine.  Here's mine: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3814.0  I ordered it from motorcycle-superstore.com I had to grind the pegs just a little to get it to fit just right.  I suggest you also use a BIG breaker bar with appropriate socket.  Also, once I put the holding tool on the vario, I have to find a way to "hold the holder", since my arm strength is not enough.  See pics. 

Other option is to use an impact wrench.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()