Author Topic: New Like 50 2t + Newbie Rider = good juju (life, breaking in a new engine, etc.)  (Read 26520 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
New to this forum as well. After doing much research and establishing what my driving would be like (and what would be involved to go higher than 50cc according to Florida DMV regulations), I decided on the Like 50. I am very happy in my decision and to have found like Like-minds herein.
When the scooter was delivered, there were just over 2km on the odometer. Delivered because prior to this purchase, a bicycle was the only two-wheeled experience I had and at the time I wasn't comfortable enough to drive it on the road. (and yes, I am HOOKED!)
I am in the process of breaking in the engine and have read many varied opinions on this process. I cannot say I subscribe to what the manual suggests, but feel that moderation is key while not laying on full-throttle for extended periods of travel. I am interested in reading others thoughts and experiences with this (and when, exactly, is an engine considered to be 'broken in'?).
Also, what do you all use to keep your Like looking fresh? I have read many suggestions elsewhere from Pledge to Plexus, Griot's Garage products to Meguiars Quick Detail and the like.
Lastly, I have read on the General Forum and herein others' suggestions for increasing speed on a 50cc, but do any of the mods about which I have read void the Kymco warranty? Is there any modification (save the "speed kit") that can be utilised that will keep the warranty intact while gaining a few more mph?
Glad to be here and quite thankful for this forum!
Cheers from Vero:)
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
After having gotten further along toward becoming one with my scooter (and moving along in the breaking in), here is what I have found works for me regarding appearance upkeep: Meguiars Plastic polish is good stuff. The Quick Detail not too bad, either. I will eventually try out some wax, but for now, those work well for me.
I realise that I don't really want any more mph, per se, but am interested in holding the mph during heavy winds and up inclines.
Lastly, some mods are within warranty and simply require know-how or knowing a good mechanic, while some will trash that warranty outright.
Love this forum and all the knowledge herein!
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
Things I have learned:
With the Kymco speed kit in place (smooth boss drive, upjet to 82, I believe - this was done by my dealer) and after breaking in, the top speed is 40 on flat without wind (per police radar). Of note: I am 6'6" and weigh about 230. With a strong wind (10-25mph), top speed is between 30-35, depending on wind direction/speed. Uphill top speed is between 26-32 mph, again depending on wind direction/speed. There was a point when I called my dealer/mechanic about a 'bogging down' issue. As throttling up, at about 15mph, the rpm would slow in its' increase as going through gear and then pick back up at about 25mph. Too, on occasional take-off, the scooter would slowly creep into gear. His solution at the time was to put in some lighter rollers. 6.5g to be exact. (Stock roller weights on the Like 502t are 8.5) This without changing anything else in the system. After the roller swap it would respond well at takeoff, but it would reach maximum rpm at about 25mph and slowly increase speed. Uphill became 23-25mph. Top speed on a flat was 32mph. We went back to the stock rollers after about 2 days. The bogging down at about 15mph has not returned, although when cold, takeoff is sluggish, though part of that was initially my fault for not getting all the excess PJ1 out after cleaning my filter. One thing that he found, fyi, is that my belt had some wear (more than he expected). It could be that due to particularly windy conditions and my height more drag occurred than most would experience, my weight caused this, or the amount of WOT with which I drive, coupled with the other factors. He did, though, put on a new belt.
I found out via the guru at Moped Hospital that the exhaust restriction (besides the catalytic converter) is an extra pipe on the muffler, about 1" in diameter that terminates on itself. I have seen this on other OEM mufflers and his solution, as well as what I have read and seen online, was to crimp it off as close to the muffler pipe as possible. I cut it off yesterday, leaving enough to vise it and "fold" it back on itself. I then used muffler putty to ensure a good seal (although welding is an option, I didn't want to wait). With this restriction removed, acceleration is greatly improved, the top speed on flat remains at 40mph, uphill without wind is now 35 and with wind is 28-32mph. Of note: there is no restrictive washer in the end of the muffler pipe. The only exhaust restrictions are those listed.
My next step will be to get a Tecnigas muffler, either the Silent Pro or Next R, go to slightly lighter weights, change out the Contra for the 1000rpm and swap the clutch springs for either 1000 or 1500 rpm. I will update this after making further changes and test runs.
I have no desire at present for a BBK, I would just like my little engine to perform at capacity and to have a fighting chance when facing big wind and when climbing a bridge.
For the record I am getting around 35-40mpg, whether I use 90 octane non-ethanol or 93 octane 10% ethanol fuel. SeaFoam is used regardless.
sans scooter, rien

juice

• View Profile
A synthetic 2 stroke oil made for injector applications will help (I use amsoil interceptor) and a NGK iridium plug will improve performance and resist fouling . Good luck .

wassonii

• View Profile
Thank you. I will def get the irridium plug. I am inclined toward synthetic as well, but truth be told, my dealer told me that they have had more issues with engines that have switched to synthetic. I am, at least, using BelRay dino for now. Cheers! I've set the wheels in motion to make the upgrades. I had really wanted to stay within warranty, but given some of the roads I need to travel, I have to be able to maintain closer to 40-45mph on a regular basis, which should be more than possible given the avenues I am currently pursuing.
sans scooter, rien

juice

• View Profile
Synthetic 2 stroke oils are tricky , many are made for marine applications with liquid cooling . I have heard that it's important to choose an oil and stick with it also . Again , good luck , and enjoy your scoot .

wassonii

• View Profile
Thank you. I am certainly enjoying the heck out of it! I think their concern is from folks not breaking in an engine before switching and then not sticking to a brand when refilling, as you said.
Too, of note, the 40-45mph to which I refer is for a 3-4 mile stretch of road that runs beside the complex in which I reside. 90% of my driving is on roads with a 25-35mph speed limit, although there are bridges I travel almost daily and maintaining at least 35mph under all conditions on them is also a result I seek.
Thank you again!
sans scooter, rien

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Hey, wassonii.  I know very little about the Like but wanted to say hello since I was born and raised in Vero Beach.   ;)  That was over 58 years ago, though.  Rode motorcycles all over that county.  Of course it was much different then.  I'm glad you're happy with the Like and the conservative mods you're doing. 

wassonii

• View Profile
Conservative for now, yes. The Like is an interesting little beast. I've ridden a 2001 People 2 stroke and Kymco has definitely made some changes to their 50cc engine since then, though the basics are still intact. One of the less conservative mods I am contemplating in the recesses of my mind is machining down the cylinder head. That will be later down the road, though.
Some here in Vero has changed greatly, but there is much that is, I believe, unchanged. I do dig the rural feel to swathes of IRC, for sure.
sans scooter, rien

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Hee hee.  ;D  Please seek advice from Sidthesloth or theBatman or Wordslinger before undertaking head mods.  They've all modified their ZX 50s or other 50cc scooters extensively.  There used to be a guy here named Zombie who also knows a LOT about modifying all kinds of engines. . . Think he hangs out at other forums still. 

wassonii

• View Profile
Hoolander2 - Thank you very much for the advice! I will definitely do some research and ask some questions of those that know before undertaking any changes of that nature. It's taken me this long to become one with my scooter and figure out what this next step would be, I certainly don't want to rush unawares into anything further.  Take care and happy riding in this new year!
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
Right then. In the continuing "Life with my Like"...
With the stock exhaust derestricted (as far as removing the pipe that goes to nowhere is concerned), the top speed was 40mph (on open straightaway with minimal wind, but verified by police radar) and take-off was sh**e, particularly when the engine wasn't fully warmed up. Bear in mind that the catalytic converter was still present in the body of the muffler. Too, I am still on stock rollers (8.5g which are likely a little on the heavy side). Acceleration was great after 1st gear. Climbing inclines deteriorated, though. From 32-35mph at first to 22-25mph. I do think that the muffler paste I had used was in need of a reapplication, though.
I ordered (via Moped Hospital) a Tecnigas Silent Sport exhaust after consulting with my guru about my needs, driving habits, and general driving conditions. It is a nifty little beast that compliments well the overall look of the Like. UPS manhandled the HECK out of my package, though. When I got home, the box was propped against my front door and upon picking the box up, I noticed a large hole torn in one end (and no UPS person or truck anywhere in sight). Fearing the worst, I grabbed a camera and started taking pics of the box and throughout the opening process. The Silent Sport has a silencer on it which arrives separately and is attached to a three-pronged flange via gasket and three bolts. The flange is what had poked the hole and two of it's 'prongs' had been bent quite a bit, causing paint loss and rendering the silencer unable to be attached. The very good people at Moped Hospital responded quickly to my email with pics. I ended up taking a discount and using some elbow grease to fix the problem.
Let me take a moment to emphasize how truly wonderful and helpful the folks at Moped Hospital are, because it's true!
This morning I swapped the exhausts. The emission control (secondary air filter) is moot once the stock muffler is removed, fyi. Attaching the Silent Sport was not too bad. It comes with 2 X 6mm allen head bolts and aluminum spacers, as well as the silencer and its' gasket and nuts (the bolts for the silencer are part of the canister). This muffler sits a little farther away from the enngine and its' frame is curved to go alongside the cooling fan. (It actually is in front of part of the housing for the cooling fan, hence the aluminum spacers for the bolts). The third hole for attachment is not near where the stock muffler attached to the rear wheel 'shroud' (not sure of the actual term) so I shall either leave it be or figure something out.
Test run results: Sounds like a scooter. Take-off is much better, though I will have to dial in correct roller weight (6.5g is way too light, so I will be working my way down starting with the 8.0g set due next week). Acceleration is good good good. Top speed in 10mph wind on a straightaway is 45mph.
Lovely. More to come....

sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
I ordered some 8.0g Dr. Pulley round weights via partsforscooters.com (great company, excellent customer service, and very quick turnaround). My mechanic/dealer installed them for me and his response was "damn, you did great" after coming back from a test ride. He had taken the scooter out before the weight change and was very pleased (as am I) with the scooter's response at take off and through the power band. There is no loss at top speed with the lessening of the roller weight (45mph w/ 8.5g stock weights/ same with 8.0g).
We talked a bit and I think I will go from the 82 main jet to an 85 and drill a quarter-inch hole in my air cleaner box cover. I will be doing some checking around, though, before doing this, as I want to see if I can find opinions on the removal of the air box restriction instead. I think if I remove the restriction, I may need to go to an 88 main jet, but more investigation is needed. I did order a performance cdi from scrappy dog scooters (another great company and also with excellent customer service). I don't know if this will make a difference, but at this point, it is all part of the grand experiment. I will not install/play with the new cdi until after upjetting and allowing more airflow so as to have a good idea of what mods are effective in linear fashion and not all at once.
More to come...
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
For info purposes: With the new weights, uphill is consistently at 35+mph with only a 1-2mph loss in 10-15+mph wind. The 45mph noted above is on flat with no wind. In 10-20mph wind, 35-38mph is top speed (WOT)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Hi Wass, Your post(s) have the same feel as all the "newbies". From "Just want a bit more" to "How do you install NOS?" You seem to have a great grasp on what is happening to your scoot so the rest will be easy. Change out your control spring in the clutch. Go w/ a 1500 rpm. This will prevent any hill climb/wind loss. Also a 1/4" hole in the air box will do nothing. You need to either remove the cover exposing the foam element, or replace it w/ an "open" type filter. This will require larger main, and pilot jets. The pilot may just need (1) step up, while the main may need to go over 90. Trial, and error. Start w/ the pilot. You will want a jet that gives the best rpm's with the mix screw (2) turns out (give or take 1/2). The main will be correct w/ the needle in the center clip (give or take 2). Your control spring is the key to what you seem to need tho. Before milling the head there is a LOT of number crunching to do. Hi compression, and low octane non ethanol do NOT work together. Same w/ Hi octane ethanol fuel. The ethanol dilutes the 2t oil needed for hi compression. You can mill .5mm safely off a stock setup but you will never feel a diff. If you just want more bottom end try extending the intake coupler 4-6". You will have to re-plumb everything, but it acts as a venturi of sorts by storing xtra unburnt mix for an "on demand" boost.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()