Author Topic: Cracked my secondary air inlet tube today - gonna warp valves?  (Read 2007 times)

Kevin

• View Profile
Cracked my secondary air inlet tube today - gonna warp valves?
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was coming to a stop at a light after about 20 miles of my regular daily commute (25 each way, every day for the last 8,000 miles or so), when the exhaust note made a dramatic change - it got a little louder under my seat and sounded a little too "open".

I pulled over and popped her on the center stand to have a look/listen and couldn't immediately see oil pouring out anywhere or feel a loose muffler or anything, so I finished my 5 miles that were left and just rode cautiously near the bike lane.

Got home and took the met-in off to see if I had cracked the valve cover or something and there is a crack in the secondary air inlet tube, right above where it connects to the reed box.

My question is this - should I not ride at all for fear of warping a valve? ??? Or just let it ride until I get around to finding a new one?

2009 S8 150 - 8700 miles - 50 miles a day daily driver - oil changed on time religiously with Motorex full synth for scooters (after break-in)

Thanks guys and gals!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Cracked my secondary air inlet tube today - gonna warp valves?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
Is that the secondary air inlet from the exhaust?  I didn't know the super 8 had one.
I'm not sure why it would warp the valves, but you may get some crud in the engine.
A picture would help...

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
Hey Steve,

Thanks for checking up. I found one for 11 bucks and grabbed it. But here is a pic anyway.

cracked secondary air inlet tube by tpkkavanagh, on Flickr

It was sort of odd. It just popped while i was decelerating to stop at a light. not overheated, or a sudden cooling or anything out of the ordinary I could tell.

I do have a new problem though and have no idea if it is related or coincidence. My Auto Bystarter (choke) isn't working and the one I have on there now was just purchased to replace the last defective unit about two months ago. I grabbed a new one, and have the same issue - it doesn't extend when you turn the ignition on. I just tested the lead going to it and only see about .1 Volt. I'm starting to think the CDI pooped out on me.

Thanks!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »
The People 150 does not have the secondary air tube while the Super 8 does. You would think that they would have similar 150cc engines.

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
You would think so... LoL

New problem - you know how to test the regulator?

I'm only getting 0.1 Volts at the auto bystarter.

Thanks!

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
You've got some bad VooDoo going on with your scooter.
Maybe you have a short in your electrical system.

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
I'm such a doofus. I was testin the bystarter leads wrong. I didn't have the scooter running, just the ignition on. With it running, I got the right voltage, 12 V.

I pulled the diaphragm out of the carb to see if it was torn, and in doing so, unstuck the slide which was stuck down. Diaphragm was good. Put it back together and all is good. I think this must be what happened to me last time too. Only by coincidence did I unstick the slide when I was inspecting the diaphragm....

What, if anything, do you use to lube the slide and keep it from sticking?

I ran a littl Gumout carb and injector cleaner through on two tankfuls.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()