Author Topic: Tappet cover!  (Read 1382 times)

iolite

• View Profile
Tappet cover!
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »
Hi guys need your help!
I want to check my valve clearance and stripped all the tupper ware to get to the head, removed the tappet cover bolts and now i cant remove the cover as there is a cross member in the way on the frame.
I even took the bolts off on the shocks to tilt the engine to no avail!!
Dont tell me I have to remove the petrol tank as well???
Am I missing something?
Please help!!!

iolite

• View Profile
Re: Tappet cover!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
Sorry me again!! forgot to tell you guys! its a xciting 500

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
I don't remember exactly, but an easy solution is a second person. The 2nd must sit on the pillion seat or something like this to move the engine a little bit.
Or loosen the shock absorbers and use a lifting jack under the rear wheel (scooter still on main stand).

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
I was cursing the Kymco engineers first time I tried this!  I came to this forum and asked about it and Zombie suggested putting a cinch strap over/through the frame somehow to pull the rear suspension down enough to get clearance.  It worked. 

I will say though that finding just the right way to put the strap on and get it cinched down took quite a while and wasn't easy.  I put strap over frame near top rear shock mounts and wrap one end round and round the rear wheel/tire near the top of the wheel, then hook the two ends of the strap together and start cinching till the shocks compress a certain amount.  You will still have to monkey with the cover as it comes up and out.  It'll want to hang up on the cam chain but once past that should come on out.

I think ts1's suggestions would be just as good if not better.

Edit to add:  Say, if you had a cycle work stand/lift you could use two tie downs on the rear going down to the rear tie down points and just pull the rear down.   Or if you had a trailer or anything with stationary tie down points do the same thing there.

I broke one of the bolts by overtightening when putting back on!  It didn't take much.  Thankfully the broken piece stayed attatched to the head by a thread and screwed out by hand. 

Further edit/addition:  Also remove coil and place forward out of the way -- no need to disconnect wires.  Also remove one nut holding thermostat so you can push it and it's hose out of the way as cover comes out.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:36:13 PM by Hoolander2 »

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
It would be good to edit the service manual and add this stuff.  I can create pdf's, but can't modify existing ones anymore. 

Is anyone able to modify existing pdf's with overlay's?

I guess I could print the service manual and hand write notes in it...  Gee - do I even own a pen anymore?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:13:32 AM »
So if you took off the shock bolts, is it possible you tilted the engine TOO far back? (Edit: I mean forward) I just wonder about that cause I think it might have to be in a just so position for the cover to come up and out. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:17:22 AM by Hoolander2 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()