Author Topic: Downtown 300 Review  (Read 2385 times)

Doug9678

• View Profile
Downtown 300 Review
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:20 AM »
It's kind of unusual for us to have two reviews of similar scooters in the space of a few weeks. We just completed our Kymco People GTi300 review, and the Kymco Downtown 300i became available. No complaints here, both scooters are a lot of fun to ride. The Downtown 300i looks like a modern maxi-scooter, but it's lighter than any maxi in it's class. It certainly has highway capability and would make a good choice for touring (with some additional luggage). It's also agile enough for easy riding at city speeds. The Downtown 300i is not without its faults, but it certainly looks like Kymco dealers will have another winner in their offerings..........

http://www.justgottascoot.com/downtown300i.htm
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

Doug9678

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300 Review
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:14:17 AM »
The DT300 is going to be my next scooter , 70 mpg and 90 top speed , drool

I have short legs too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:15:55 AM by Doug9678 »
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
confirms what I've said about spedo accuracy although mine sems to be about 58.5 MPH at 60 indicated but this could be the angle I view the speedo at etc. I mean it isn't like there is a digital speedo with decimals etc. This also confirms what I've stated about the odo too. Both are supprisingly accurate.

Now the bike for a 300cc and CVT has amazing mid range. Now put in the 20x12 14GR DR Pulley sliders and you end up with alot more mid range on tap. Even the roll on at 65-70 MPH available power is improved. This does come at the price of seeing the engine RPM's vary a bit more.

As everone states a custom seat would be a warmly welcomed addition. While I can sit relatively well on the bike 2-4" rearward seatinf would be a plus. Slightly improved forward storage would be nice too. For carying jackets it would have been nice in the front compartment if that hump were not there.

The reviewer seems upset about custom seat costs but this is the norm for all bikes. Few if any out there offer a perfect seat for eveyone out the door. Since the bikes elsewhere has been around since 2009 you would have thought there would be an aftermarket item available by now.

I will say I just did a 8 hour outing with 7 of those hours on the bike with no real discomfort. I did notice I had to take the car for a short trip right afterwards and had some stiffness/discomfort in my hip getting out of the car. Riding my V65 for even 1 hour could easily be felt in all my joints. So in the end I am pretty happy with the comfort level.

Also on the ride we encountered some stiff cross winds. I was amazed at the stability of the bike. I could feel the winds trying to pull my helmet off of me sideways but there was little affect to the bike. I am sure with a top case the cross wind issue would be greater though.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:17 AM »
I have a top case and Givi wind screen and still handle relatively high cross winds at 70 mph with no problem. I get along fine with the seat altho I am going to add an Air hawk 2 air cushion for my trip next summer. It will be 8 hours riding a day for 4 days. 3200K trip one way.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
If the People would have been available at the time I purchased my DT I would have bought the People.  I convinced myself that the P250S was the scooter I wanted but for an extra $800 I could have more power/torque with fuel injection...so I went with the DT.  Adding the 14g sliders helped out quite a bit.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()