Author Topic: seat problem on the Downtown 300i  (Read 14347 times)

gmoorj

• View Profile
seat problem on the Downtown 300i
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
Has anyone out there been able to resolve the seat problem on their Downtown 300i.  I am 6'1" the seat does not provide adequate leg room for tall guys and girls. I'm searching for someone to build me a custom seat. I would appreciate any assistance.  You can contact me at gmoorj@yahoo.com. Thanks

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: seat problem on the Downtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52:29 AM »
What seat problem? I am 6' 2.5 inches. I have lots of leg room on mine. I have 11,000 K on it now and find it very confortable.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:09:57 AM »
Yeah I'm 6'3" and have no problems..

gmoorj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:27:07 AM »
Okay you guys that are 6'2" and 6'3". I'm happy for you. I guess your inseams are 31 or less, mine is 34 and I have a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike, but i have to make a modification on the seat. Still hoping to hear from someone out there with the same problem I have. Still looking for a remedy.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »
Try sitting on something like a pillow to see if it puts you into a comfortable position (sometimes my legs aren't comfortable on bikes that other people my height love).   An inflatable hunters seat from Cabelas will run you $15 to $25.  They aren't as nice as an Airhawk - but they don't cost $200 either.  You might also check the subcarriage in the front to see if there is a place you could mount a pair of fold up highway pegs. 

FWIW we aren't all built the same.  I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam which is more than most people my height - and it is mostly in my thighs.   
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
I am 30" and am fine but I can see where any more length to the inseam will be an issue with the stock seating.  At first I felt a bit cramped but it seems as the seat has broken in the rear position has extended slightly. Not that I am still not open to aq seat with even greater room............

gmoorj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Ok. I did not explain myself correctly in reference to the seat/leg room on the 2012 Downtown 300i. My problem is not so much with the comfort of the seat as with the lack of leg room it gives the rider. My knees are about two inches from the handle bars. The seat does not allow you any room to stretch out your legs. An additional four inches would really accommodate a 'long legged rider'.  The rider that spoke about the seat 'breaking in' thanks for the tip. I want to enjoy my ride in comfort.
Does anyone know if the seat on the 2011 and the 2012 is the same?

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
Mine is a 2011 and the seat is supposed to be the same. In breaking in I'd gusstimate about 1" extra from when new rearward movement. I can tell you with the initial cramped placement that 1" or so is a very welcome addition.

shadwell_lad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
I'm 6" 1' and found the seat relatively uncomfortable when I first got the bike. Either the seat has "given" a bit or I have just got used to the riding position but after about 500 miles I find it far more comfortable. Having said that, I wouldn't mind being able to sit a little further back if the seat could be adjusted without losing any of the under seat storage.

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:14:08 AM »
I also agree one does get used to the seat over time.
I've a 32" inseam and found it in the beginning also uncomfortable,
but now enjoy the seating.
Haven't been on the bike for more then 2 hours on end though...
Am contemplating the bead-mesh http://www.beadrider.com. on the seat to cool the seaing in summer,
but don't have to worry about that for a while now  ;)
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Ok. I did not explain myself correctly in reference to the seat/leg room on the 2012 Downtown 300i. My problem is not so much with the comfort of the seat as with the lack of leg room it gives the rider. My knees are about two inches from the handle bars. The seat does not allow you any room to stretch out your legs. An additional four inches would really accommodate a 'long legged rider'.  The rider that spoke about the seat 'breaking in' thanks for the tip. I want to enjoy my ride in comfort.
Does anyone know if the seat on the 2011 and the 2012 is the same?

You're probably like me with more leg from hip to knee than knee to foot compared to the average person.  Like me you might benefit from raising the bars a bit.  You can get some 1 1/4 inch up bar risers for about $18 on eBay (search for 7/8 bar risers).  Many Kymco handlebars have a little alignment hole in their bottom that lines them up on posts in the bottom of the handlebar clamp.  You can either dremel the bump off or drill a matching hole into the aluminum handlebar risers.  Either is easy and gets the bars away from your knees.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
I have the same problem. The seat itself isn't bad, but I think taking an inch or two from the acres of rear passenger butt space would be nice. I found this site, don't know if it really solves the problem or if these seats are any good, but here you go.  http://www.topsellerie.com/en-us/KYMCO-DOWNTOWN-125-seats-bags-leg-handgrip-covers-scooter_16_566.html I think if they fit the 125, wouldn't the fit the 300?

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »

I am 5' 7" in shoes, 29 inch inseam and the seat constricts you to one position.  On longer rides I prefer to move around (for a few minutes) just to change position.  

I cut the plastic seatpan (where the helmet bubble is located and taped the foam (with some slack) back to the seat pan.  This allows me to slide back onto the stupid butt pad and it returns to shape after I get off.  IMO, if you cut the foam at the butt-stop it will be hard to re-stretch that hump material smoothly.

I am contemplating doing a toe cut-out up front, but this would only give me 1 maybe 2 inches.  I am looking for a plastic insert that I could plug the hole because I don't want the wind/rain blowing on my feet.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:01:52 PM by wheels »
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »

I cut the plastic seatpan (where the helmet bubble is located and taped the foam (with some slack) back to the seat pan.
Do you have a picture of this mod? Cannot imagine it properly from your desvription [?]
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »
I haven't mastered the digitial camera yet.

I will try to elaborate.  The location is the black plastic seatpan, the most rearward bubble (for the helmet).  I just used the Harbor Freight $10 angle grinder and cut out the entire bubble.  Note: when using a grinder (can't use a saw blade which cuts) it grinds/cuts continuously so there is a little issue with the plastic heating and re-glueing itself together.  I used hvac foil tape ( much better than duct tape) and depressed the hump while applying the tape to allow the foam to move downwards when sitting on the hump.  You may not want to cut out the entire bubble, instead cut out two half moon shapes with a 2-3" verticle (long axis of scooter) length of plastic as a support then you won't need to tape it.   IMO, butt stops/pads are non-functional and annoying, builders should keep the seat smooth from front to back, if needed then install a real backrest.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()