Author Topic: Deer Hits Urbestfriend  (Read 1716 times)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Deer Hits Urbestfriend
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
It's been a few weeks now and I've been waiting for some time to pass before writing this.
Most of you know,  I ride regularly to and from work on my Xciting 250.  Well halfway to work at
5:15 am.  I spotted a doe on the right side of the road about 15 ft. off the road.   Although I saw
 it ok,  I didn't have time to come to a complete stop and I could only hope it would run the other way.
Well,  it bolted right into my right side hitting the front cowl.   Now this was likely around 50 mph.   I lost
my balance and the bike fell over.  I fell off and I think the bike slid about 20 ft. on i9t's right side.  Coming
toward men was a woman in her 1965 restored Mustang.  She slammed her brakes,  slid off into the gravel and
went in the ditch.  All in all,  both of us were ok.  I got abrasions on both elbows and both knees
and a big bruise on my left inside ankle.   Now the reason for this is for some advice....

I got up and picked the bike up and pushed it onto the side of the road. (This is a 2 Lane State Highway).
The back rim got severly bent and the sparkplug wire came off,  but the 4-Ways worked in addition to the
flashing LED's I've installed.   Most of you know I always wear a Lime Yellow ANSI Coat and I had on my
new Fulmer full face lime yellow helmet.  The coat got some holes in the elbow and my jeans are now
worth $50.00 due to the rips.   The most dangerous part was trying to get people to slow down.  Both
for me and the sheriff.  Be sure to carry a flashlight and I'm going to get some flares.   I've also bought
an AA Deer Alarm (Noblesville IN.)  One MPH slower and I might have hit it dead-on and I may not be writing this.

The other driver said:  She passes me every morning because she can always see me.  Insured Damage
was around $1,400.00.  I tore everytrhing down and there is no frame or fork damage.  It took me a week
to get my nerve back up,  but I'm now riding my GV.  My repair parts are due here tomorrow. (Kymco
Parts 123 Athens Ohio).  Be sure you can be seen.  Wear a Helmet and watch for those deer.

Doug9678

• View Profile
Re: Deer Hits Urbestfriend
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
Wow! You are lucky! Glad to seee you back riding.

I saw 3 deer in the ditch today , its mating season soon , the bucks are chasing the does around now.

Know when NOT to swerve. If you suddenly have a deer before your car, brake firmly. Do not swerve and leave your lane; many accidents are not due to colliding with the deer but are the result of driving into another car or truck in the opposite lane while trying to avoid the animal. The best thing to do is drive defensively in the first place and go slowly enough that you won't collide with a moose and can brake in time.
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
I agree, Hi vis outfit, chaps, boots. I run deer whistles and carry a led flash light. I also run hid lights which give more distance in spotting deer and moose. Glad to hear you are all right after the incident.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »
Thanks...I'd really be scared,  but fortunately we have no Moose here.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()