Author Topic: Gas gauge increments  (Read 3398 times)

quinnmallory

• View Profile
Gas gauge increments
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:59:03 AM »
What do the gas gauge increment segments correspond to? I haven't owned the Yager long, so I'm not sure. I'm guessing each segment is the equivalent of a quarter of a tank? During the two times I've filled it so far, when it gets down to the last quarter segment, the low fuel light flashes. But I'm not sure if that last segment remaining on the LCD gas gauge means it's on "E" or if it just means it has a quarter tank left. How much farther can I go when the fuel gauge starts flashing? Is there some additional warning of when it's scrapin' "E" or is there just no way of knowing?

Wil B.

• View Profile
Re: Gas gauge increments
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
In general, the gas gauge on the Yager seems much more accurate (or helpful) than the gauges I've had on other 2 wheel vehicles.  Last night, mine started blinking on the last segment at around 158 miles.  I will fill up the tank tomorrow.

So, I have decided to just estimate the miles I get on each segment at around 35-40 miles.  filling up at 160 miles is an OK range for me...just as good as many motorcycles.

The real way to find out how many miles you have left after the last segment starts blinking, is to run the ttank dry. carrying a small can of gas in reserve and checking the miles when you are out of gas.  I have no idea if this will screw with the fuel injection or not (I've only done on carbed engines.)

BTW, my Yager has 1200+ miles on it, is fully broken in and is getting exceptional mileage.  Last 3 fillups I have calculated mileage all between 80 and 90mpg very good for this amount of performance!  I've run her up to 55-70 mph quite a bit although most of my trips are around town.  Good engine.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

acope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
I have gone 20 miles after all the segments are gone and only the gas pump icon was left blinking.

To date I have been able to 190 miles before refueling and still have never put in more than 2.5 gals of gas.

Hope this helps.

Kayemtee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
I assume each segment is twenty percent of a full tank.  I've been averaging 80 mpg over the last few tanks and I find the gauge to be pretty accurate (more accurate than the Vespa).  The last segment and the warning light generally come on at about 160 miles so I figure I'm good for 200 miles but I have no intention of finding out.  I'm impressed with the accuracy of the Yager instruments; the speedometer is perfectly accurate when compared with GPS.  The oil warning light going on every six hundred miles is a little weird but it's a good reminder to check your oil.

I thought the manual called for premium gas and was using it but when I got the new sticker as a result of the recall, it calls for 87 octane.  Does everyone use regular?

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:02:44 AM »
If you could run it out while close to a gas station or drain the tank - it might be worth slowly filling it and writing down exactly how much each section stands for.  My Vstrom had several bars - but because of thr irregular shape of the tank they weren't even close to the same amount for each bar.  I'd imagine the Yager is the same way.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

quinnmallory

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:40 AM »
I've been using just regular unleaded.

Good to know on the gas gauge meanings. Maybe I'll experiment and try running it out near a station.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »
I used a label maker and clear 1/4" tape with black letters to mark the sections on my Vstrom.  They were barely visible when full - but stood out when the bars went out.  I labeled the area in the bar above with the value for the bar that was still showing - rather than marking bar with it's actual value.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
My estimate is about one-half gallon per bar. I start to sweat when the last bar starts to blink and REALLY SWEAT WHEN THE LAST BAR DISAPPEARS and just the "gas pump" blinks! I have shown 196 miles on the trip odometer and did not put more than 2.5 gallons in the tank. This is about parallel to the rest of your reports and underscores it is probably a real good idea to get fuel when the last bar blinks!
87 R+M/2 is what I have used since that was the sticker under the seat of the Agility 50 I first had when its book said "91 octane minimum".

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
It is a 3 gal. tank.  When I am on the last increment and the gauge starts blinking I fill it up.  It takes a little more than 2 gallons.  So there is about a third, or almost a gallon left.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »
It is picky but my book sez 2.86 US gallons....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
Yes Karl, that's picky but it sounds like me, anal.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()