Author Topic: i couldnt start s8 what it could be?  (Read 5253 times)

5oo

• View Profile
i couldnt start s8 what it could be?
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
so i came home on friday and park s8 today morning i was trying to start scooter i went down the street and then nothing ,,, i was trying to start scooter for about 30 mins and no luck!!!
what it could be?????

5oo

• View Profile
Re: i couldnt start s8 what it could be?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
wow 27 views and no post thx so much!!!!

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:01:59 AM »
Because you aren't giving people enough information to make a knowledgeable suggestion.

Was it turning over the engine, but not firing?
Was the engine turning over slower than normal?
Do you have the kill switch on?
Do you have the sidestand up?
Are you holding a brake lever while pressing the starter?
Charge the battery up if you have a charger, then ensure those are all set properly, then turn the key on and try kickstarting it without giving it any gas.  Kick it at least 4 or 5 times.  If it feels like it is trying to start then give it a little gas.  Otherwise kick it a few more times - then try the starter.

Try those and let us know how it goes. 

FWIW:  Your broken English in " so i came home on friday and park s8 today morning i was trying to start scooter i went down the street and then nothing " makes it unclear - did you ride it down the street and it died - or did you go down to th street and were unable to start it?

FYI:  Don't ever try starting it while it's hooked up to a charger - you can overload the electrics.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:24 AM »
wow 27 views and no post thx so much!!!!
Hey, here's some friendly advice.  This forum is not as active as many and it takes a while sometimes to get a response, but with posts like that, good luck getting any help. That said,  When it happened to me, apparently I had nudged the kill switch to on somehow.  Took me an hour to figure it out.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
Hey, here's some friendly advice.  This forum is not as active as many and it takes a while sometimes to get a response, but with posts like that, good luck getting any help. That said,  When it happened to me, apparently I had nudged the kill switch to on somehow.  Took me an hour to figure it out.
ok cool thx for respond!! where is kill switch?
i took it to dealer where i bought it so will c,,,

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
Because you aren't giving people enough information to make a knowledgeable suggestion.

Was it turning over the engine, but not firing?
Was the engine turning over slower than normal?
Do you have the kill switch on?
Do you have the sidestand up?
Are you holding a brake lever while pressing the starter?
Charge the battery up if you have a charger, then ensure those are all set properly, then turn the key on and try kickstarting it without giving it any gas.  Kick it at least 4 or 5 times.  If it feels like it is trying to start then give it a little gas.  Otherwise kick it a few more times - then try the starter.

Try those and let us know how it goes. 

FWIW:  Your broken English in " so i came home on friday and park s8 today morning i was trying to start scooter i went down the street and then nothing " makes it unclear - did you ride it down the street and it died - or did you go down to th street and were unable to start it?

FYI:  Don't ever try starting it while it's hooked up to a charger - you can overload the electrics.

ok thanks for ur english but this is not english forum last time i checked  ;D
didnt give much info cuz just didnt want to start rite since Friday..which means i parked on firday rite since then didnt ride so its total 2 days and on monday didnt start hm,, lemme think isnt enough info what it can be in order for some1 who knows lil bit about scooters???
and then we can develop more info like didnt crank,,, '
but thank you for ur help!!!
1 didnt start engine
2 again didnt start at all
3 dunno what is kill switch sorry noob
4 yes side stand was up
5yes i was trying to start as usually,,,

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
Still not enough information.  Did the engine turnover?  Did you try the kickstarter?  When you turned on the ignition did power go to the instruments or was the battery totally dead?  You need to look at your owners manual.  It is important to know where the kill switch is.  It is on the right handle bar and is red.  If it is in the OFF position your scooter will NOT start.  Here's a pic:

It's on then far right, just barely in the picture.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
Forget the information , I'd like some more attitude please .

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
Still not enough information.  Did the engine turnover?  Did you try the kickstarter?  When you turned on the ignition did power go to the instruments or was the battery totally dead?  You need to look at your owners manual.  It is important to know where the kill switch is.  It is on the right handle bar and is red.  If it is in the OFF position your scooter will NOT start.  Here's a pic:

It's on then far right, just barely in the picture.

no engine didnt turn over at all just click tho yes i tried kickstarter and nothing,,, yes i turned on key powered was there but didnt crank it,,, yes kill switch was down on,,,

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 12:22:20 AM »
no engine didnt turn over at all just click tho yes i tried kickstarter and nothing,,, yes i turned on key powered was there but didnt crank it,,, yes kill switch was down on,,,

Are you holding a brake lever on?  If it isn't even cranking then I think either the sidestand switch or the brake switches are not engaging.  Try holding both brakes while you hit the starter button.  Does the brake light come on when you press the brakes?  Does it crank this way?  If it doesn't crank, but the brake lights work - then find the sensor on the sidestand and make sure it hasn't come loose or had a wire come loose.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

5oo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »
Are you holding a brake lever on?  If it isn't even cranking then I think either the sidestand switch or the brake switches are not engaging.  Try holding both brakes while you hit the starter button.  Does the brake light come on when you press the brakes?  Does it crank this way?  If it doesn't crank, but the brake lights work - then find the sensor on the sidestand and make sure it hasn't come loose or had a wire come loose.
yes i was trying to start scoot as usually break and kill switch on and that start button and nothing ,, it could be cuz was raining? just thinking about that but i had scoot covered tho,,

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
Battery does not have enough charge to start scooter...charge battery...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »

Clicking sound but no crank is almost certainly a weak battery.  Try kickstarting it.  Or try charging the battery.  Then you need to figure out why the battery is weak.  Could be a bad battery, or bad charging system, or loose wire.  The easiest way to troubleshoot is to get a voltmeter.  Then remove the battery cover.  Check the battery voltage. should be around 12.8 volts. Then start the motor, use the kickstart if needed.  Check the votage again with the motor running.  Votage should be higher, probably around 14 volts.  If the voltage is not higher, the battery is not charging due to bad charging system or loose wire.

It the scooter is still under warranty, let the dealer troubleshoot it.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
Get it started yet?
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
Who knows, he has had more problems out of a supposedly trouble free scooter (Kymco) than any body I have seen. I have not had one single problem from my 2009 people 150. Even earlier in the year I had some health problems and let it set in the garage for a month with out starting it. When  I got better and went out to start it, it started as soon a I touched the start button and idled perfect.

I just don't know....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()