Author Topic: Super 8 150 idles, won't run on-throttle  (Read 2094 times)

Kevin

• View Profile
Super 8 150 idles, won't run on-throttle
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
I posted this in the general technical part of the forum too, but wasn't sure if it should go here instead...

Super 8 150 with about 6500 miles on her.
Daily driver for my 50 mile round-trip commute - has been flawless every day until this morning.
Ran out of gas on Friday (three days ago) coasted to the pump, filled with 91 octane (I always use super), started up and rode home the last 2 miles fine.
Parked on Friday afternoon uncovered outside (I usually park under an awning) and it rained last night pretty heavy.
This morning it started fine just like every other morning, but it wouldn't do anything over an idle after warming up for about 3-4 minutes (my daily routine).

Blip the throttle and she sputters out immediately.
Eeeeeeeeease on the throttle a tiny bit and she would increase rpm a little, but if I gave any more twist - poof and she quits.

after a couple of back-to-back stalls and restarts, she stopped starting (motor turns, but no startup)

If I let her sit for a minute or two, it seems like the bowl maybe fills with enough gas that I can fire her up and she'll idle for about 10 seconds before dying...

That's where she sits now - starts and idles for about 5 seconds before dying.

any ideas?

Thanks!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 idles, won't run on-throttle
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
It sounds like you may have stirred up some junk from the bottom of your gas tank.
Letting your tank run dry can cause stuff that has settled in the tank to get into the fuel system.
I would pull the carb and clean it out. 
That is my guess since nothing else was different I assume.
Good luck.

Kevin

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 idles, won't run on-throttle
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »
Well, I fixed this problem a long time ago, but I never updated the thread - and I hate reading threads that describe the problem I'm having, but never say what they did to resolve it, so here goes:

Long story short, the carb slider may have been stuck. the diaphragm was good, but after I put it back together it just ran fine.

The rest of the story - including what NOT to do when you're testing your auto bystarter...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4727.0

Thanks!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()