Author Topic: People 50 2T - oil screen clean as part of break-in?  (Read 1222 times)

ic32

• View Profile
People 50 2T - oil screen clean as part of break-in?
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
I recently bought a 2009 People 50 2T with less than 400km on it.  I suspect it had been sitting unused for at least a year (definitely most of it's life, since it's original owner purchased it in 2008).  I am fairly certain that the original owner never had the 300km service performed, so I'm trying to catch up on maintenance.

The manual directs that the two-stroke People 50 2T needs its oil filter/screen cleaned out at 300km.  Why? If there is no circulation of oil back into the tank, then there won't be any metal or other particulates collecting there except those introduced when I pour in the oil, right?

(I have a few other newbie questions, since this is both the first 2-stroke and the first motorbike that I've owned.  I'll post them separately.)

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: People 50 2T - oil screen clean as part of break-in?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »
I am a little confused by your question (or my lack of knowledge about that particular scooter). If your People 50 is two-troke, where/why is the oil filter/screen? My People s200 is four-strock and has a oil screen. Any two-cycle scooters I've owned did not (as the oil is injected or mixed). That being said, if you do have a oil screen, they are very easy to remove and clean. Thought you may not need to do this with that low miles, I probably would this first time just to be sure. Have fun!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: People 50 2T - oil screen clean as part of break-in?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I beleive the screen is in the tank where the hose connects. It will be there to catch any foreign matter that might find its way into the tank, especially any plastic from manufacture, If this screen blocks up, you will kill the engine so it is good insurance to keep it clean.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()