Author Topic: First emergency stop  (Read 2685 times)

Yager200i

• View Profile
First emergency stop
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »
Well, I had my first emergency stop today.

Heading toward a traffic light, the light was green, I was about 125 feet from the crosswalk, at 38 mph (2 miles per hour under the speed limit).

The light turned yellow, then almost immediately turned red. This intersection has a traffic camera on it, and it's a notorious intersection... they decreased the time that the yellow light shows so that it forces people to choose between 'running the red', or slamming on their brakes; as a way of getting more 'you ran a red light' traffic ticket income. Unfortunately, it also causes a lot of rear-ender traffic accidents.

I quickly glanced in my rear view mirrors to be sure I had room in front of the car behind me as I cranked down on the brakes, the rear wheel locked a bit so I let off it until I could just hear it barely squealing a little bit near its traction limit.

I stopped about 3 feet inside the crosswalk, then backed up.

Now, at 38 mph, this all took a total of about 2 seconds. A car wouldn't have been able to stop, and would have gotten a ticket (or gotten rear-ended if they'd tried to stop).

Somebody should tell the DMV that their policy of ultra-short yellows as an income generator is dangerous, which is diametrically opposed to the purpose of traffic cameras in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:15:24 AM by Yager200i »

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: First emergency stop
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:21 PM »
Well, I had my first emergency stop today.

Heading toward a traffic light, the light was green, I was about 125 feet from the crosswalk, at 38 mph (2 miles per hour under the speed limit).

The light turned yellow, then almost immediately turned red. This intersection has a traffic camera on it, and it's a notorious intersection... they decreased the time that the yellow light shows so that it forces people to choose between 'running the red', or slamming on their brakes; as a way of getting more 'you ran a red light' traffic ticket income. Unfortunately, it also causes a lot of rear-ender traffic accidents.

I quickly glanced in my rear view mirrors to be sure I had room in front of the car behind me as cranked down on the brakes, the rear wheel locked a bit so I let off it until I could just hear it barely squealing a little bit near its traction limit.

I stopped about 3 feet inside the crosswalk, then backed up.

Now, at 38 mph, this all took a total of about 2 seconds. A car wouldn't have been able to stop, and would have gotten a ticket (or gotten rear-ended if they'd tried to stop).

Somebody should tell the DMV that their policy of ultra-short yellows as an income generator is dangerous, which is diametrically opposed to the purpose of traffic cameras in the first place.

[/quote]  Yes, that’s a good stop.  I practice all the time with normal stops hoping that muscle memory will kick in at the appropriate time.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
The best solution to this dilemma is not to run the yellow light if you can stop in time or go through the intersection in time.

Faced with dilemma to run through the yellow light or do sudden braking, I would always choose to avoid braking.
Crossroads are full of white lines and oil that dropped on the asphalt, so it is the last place where you want to brake suddenly, not to mention the possibility of being rear-ended by car (read: killed, become quadriplegic or otherwise get seriously injured).

I also do not agree that the car would not be able to stop where Yager did.  Most cars today have stopping distance of around 40 meters from 100-0 km/h and 10-12 meters from 50-0 km/h.

Your scoot, on a good day, needs around 12-13 m from 35-0 km/h, provided that you are sports bikes rider, brake perfectly, there is no rain, oil or white stripes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:01:00 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »
I have found that the brakes on the Yager are very good.  Luckily I have only had to do a few 'hard' stops in the first 1000 miles.   Compared to a modern motorcycle they are definately not 'sport-bike' capable but very good for this type of vehicle.

This is my second Kymco product, and so far I am impressed with the performance, quality and attention to detail!  AND I'm averaging about 76mpg over the first 7 fillups!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200 GT
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
You had the advantage of having to stop a relatively light machine too. Weight makes a big difference.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
You had the advantage of having to stop a relatively light machine too. Weight makes a big difference.

Double the weight, four times the original stopping distance.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()