Author Topic: Magnetic oil plugs  (Read 4625 times)

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
Magnetic oil plugs
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:42 AM »
Ok they sale a kit and ive also found a guy that has earth magnet oil plugs. I dont get what comes in the kits. Doe anybody have these on there agility 125. Im thinking in the kit it comes with magnets to put on the plug. Ive saw pictures but cant get much more info than that. Does the kit comes with magnetic bolts or magnets you have to put on like a washer. Does it comes with a gear lube drain plug too. If anybody has bought these please explain. If you could let me know where you got it as well. Thanks and sorry to ramble.

marioG

• View Profile
Re: Magnetic oil plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:13:28 AM »
but why?
oil filter is enough....
its like u saying its carbon - doesent really matter...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Corp_T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
Generally it's just a drain plug that has a magnet built into it. It'll catch small particles of metal shavings from the metal on metal contact that inevitably happens in an engine. A oil filter is good, but it never hurts to have something like this. When you change the oil you just wipe the plug off and you're good. Sometimes small or even large metal shavings will either pass through the filter or even tear it, it's just cheap insurance against that.

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
AMEN. You should see a car that has a magnetic drain plug. There is tons of extremely fine mushing metal on the end every single time. Just like the magnetic oil plug in the full size truck rear ends. And also thats why there is magnets in the tranny pan of all cars and they have filters too. I tell they really take alot of crap out.

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
I dont understand what you mean by carbon. I may be dumb to the fact but i dont see anywhere i mentioned carbon nor do i have a oil filter anywhere on my scoot. There is a little piece of junk strainer thats always empty. I have my magnetic oil plug now and WOW  is it stout!

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:18:35 AM »
i wanted to say that magnetic plugs dont have purpuse....
At the lowest point of the bowl, theres always junk material...magnets have no biggy with that...
its just marketing gig...

they could be from carbon, cheese, supercunducter material, ceramic......it really doesent matter....
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »
I really dont give 2 sh*&% what the dang magnets are made of but why would you want to leave the garbage in you oil pan ? Why wouldnt you want to remove it? Its obvious you are gonna try your best to argue every post i make and thats ok by me. I keep my bikes and scooter in tip top shape no matter what your opinion is on how i do it Mr Mario. I did enjoy your post! OH WELL!

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
Dude you make no since Magnetic oil plugs have no purpose but i sure do know alot of poeple that use the heck out of  them. I guess you are a scooter guru and you know it all huh. What the heck are you talking about magnets have no biggie with that? I bet you probably got one you just want to argue with me. Why dont you just get on here and help people instead trying to pi$$ somebody off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:28:50 PM by 2010Iron883 »

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »

Ah and if there so usless why do they put them in all transmission pan of all cars trucks and suvs. If there no use in them why do they all  have them. I know car is not a scooter so you dont have to come back with that mario. They are very useful you are wrong about that. Trannys have them with a filter and ive saw them in oil pans as well. There useless is far from a true statement.

HueJass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
This was taken from totalruckus from some dude that hadn't used one before....  I use one on 2 Agility 125s, and two Honda Rucki.... each time I get residue on the plugs.

Get one, or be a hater with a small unit and don't

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »
I really dont give 2 sh*&% what the dang magnets are made of but why would you want to leave the garbage in you oil pan ? Why wouldnt you want to remove it? Its obvious you are gonna try your best to argue every post i make and thats ok by me. I keep my bikes and scooter in tip top shape no matter what your opinion is on how i do it Mr Mario. I did enjoy your post! OH WELL!

This forum has a lot of people that feel they are guru's and feel the need to contradict other people even though they really don't know what they are talking about.  In typical fashion you were told that an oil filter was enough - when you and I know that bike doesn't have one.

I like magnetic drain plugs and put them on everything whether it has a filter or not.  Some people say that if they were a good thing then the manufacturers would put them in the vehicles.  BMW is known for making quality engines, and every BMW comes with them.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
I think this is a good idea for any engine that doesn't have a filter.

Moose Racing makes magnetic drain plugs, but they only list them by application, and not by thread size.  So, you would have to do some cross referencing to find the correct one to fit an Agility.  Are there any others out there that for sure fit the Agility?

I was thinking I might just buy a rare earth magnet and machine my current plug.  Some epoxy or jb weld should hold the magnet in just fine.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 06:11:45 AM »
I saw this online and have seen it elsewhere in this forum.
 http://www.scooternerds.com/eshopprod_cat_6078-67311_prodtree_349-235-307_product_874494.Prima_Magnetic_Oil_Drain_Bolt_.htm
There is a phone number on the site so you could call and make sure the part fits your bike. sounds like a good idea but haven't tried one yet. For eight bucks it's worth the gamble. I wish they sold one for the gear oil, I did my first gear oil change at 600 miles and it was more metal than oil coming out. I think I will change it again real soon. Hope there is some metal left inside the bike.... :P

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
That set comes with one for the gear oil. Its the small bolt in the picture.

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
I ended up getting a gear oil and engine oil magnet. Ive not ridden it much since i screwed my crank shaft up. UGH! I am now building my agility 125cc to a 183cc stroker using ncy. Cant wait!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()