Author Topic: tire crack  (Read 8469 times)

super 88

• View Profile
tire crack
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »
Hi all, new guy here.

First off, I just want to say that I came across this forum shortly after purchasing a new old stock 2008 Xciting 500Ri last fall. It's been great to lurk around and read all of your opinions and advice about the bike, which I absolutely love.  It's become my main ride this spring and summer; I take it everywhere I go, rain or shine. There are almost 3000 kilometers on the odometer at this point.

I just became aware of a disconcerting issue over the weekend. A friend and I were looking at my bike; he was checking out the front brake disks when he noticed a crack in the front tire that goes all the way around the rim. It's right snug up against the rim, and almost invisible from a foot away.  However, it is definitely a crack all the way around the tire, easily seen in the pictures below.

I have no idea how long it's been there. I always maintain the tire pressure around 33 psi (it's the original Maxxis tire), so I'm stumped as to its origin. My thinking is that either the tire has a manufacturing defect, or was installed incorrectly, or just plain dried up while sitting in storage for two years before I bought it.

I took the bike to my dealer yesterday for inspection. He says that it's cosmetic, and nothing to worry about, but I can't feel safe driving the bike at superhighway speeds with a tire in such a state.  I've asked the dealer to contact Kymco Canada to see if the tire can be replaced under warranty, and he's yet to get back to me with a response. We'll see what happens.

In any case, I've learned that one needs to inspect one's tires very carefully, something that I will be doing much more diligently in the future.

Has anyone here ever come across a similar tire issue?

:Edited to add information:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:20:31 AM by super 88 »

super 88

• View Profile
Re: tire crack
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »
Here's the official reply to me from Kymco Canada:

Hi Eugene,

I have spoken with Rui in regards to your tire and explained to him that
there is no safety issue with it at all.
This crack is just in the cosmetic layer of rubber put on the side of the
tire so that they can print the lettering on it.  This part has no
structural integrity.
From my understanding the tire is perfectly round ( meaning the belts have
not internally shifted ), does not vibrate,  holds air and does not loose
pressure, so it should be perfectly fine to ride on without any concern and
therefore does not warrant replacing.

Thanks for choosing KYMCO!

Best,

Dennis Heilman
Director of Parts & Service

I picked the bike up from my dealer this afternoon, and he noted that the air pressure in both tires was still fine.

Next stop: Ministry of Transportation

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:05:22 AM »
I still have the original Maxxis front tire on my '07 Xciting 500. Think I've got over 12,000 miles on it.  I'll look at it in the next few days and let you know what, if anything,  I see.  Maybe they're right and there is no issue. 

super 88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
Thanks, Hoolander!

Would you guys feel safe running this tire on the highway at 120 kph? One good pothole and all bets are off.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:22:30 PM by super 88 »

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »
Just a guess on my part, but I wonder if the tire was ridden flat after it lost air, and what you see is wear from rubbing on the rim. You say you bought it new however, so ???

super 88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:42:22 PM »
Hi Agent Bob,

Nope, never had a flat and the other side of the tire is in perfect condition. That's why I think it's gotta be a manufacturing defect - either that or the tire was improperly installed.

Thanks for your reply  :)

super 88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
Pics of the good side:

JENNY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
The tire could be old...all tires have a date encoded on the sidewall.  If stored on cement this could also happen. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
I am no forensics traffic  expert, but I have seen such things many times and do not consider such a tire to be unsafe.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:26:21 AM »
I rode 25 miles to the dealer with the front tire bulging in 3 places. Scooter tires are not made like auto tires. Also, you can examine for yourself, look real close, and you should be able to see if it's just the cosmetic layer as stated. These tires are thick.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

super 88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
After much online research, the general concensus seems to be that a visible fault in the sidewall of a motorcycle or scooter indicates a tire which is unsafe to ride on.

I am will take the tire to a Minsitry of Transport inspection station to have it examined.

Thanks for all your replies  :)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
Ok, super 88.  I looked at mine and there is nothing like what you have.  All I see is a couple places less than an inch where there is some very minor cracking in the same area as yours.  Not opened up like yours is.

super 88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Thanks for checking, Hoolander. My neighbour had a bunch of his harley buds over this afternoon, and to a man, they all agree that the tire appears unsafe to ride on.

I will post the findings of the Ministry of Transport's safety inspection when it has been completed.

4StrokesUp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
Thanks for checking, Hoolander. My neighbour had a bunch of his harley buds over this afternoon, and to a man, they all agree that the tire appears unsafe to ride on.

I will post the findings of the Ministry of Transport's safety inspection when it has been completed.

Just wondering if you have recived any reply on your tire as to the crack being safe? I looked at three stores and found no crackes in any of 50+ tires that is in the USA.
Good luck with your indever.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
I had an afterthought about the tire. It was probably factory installed with the aid of a mechanical tire installer and the operator forgot to lubricate the bead, and the machine forced the tire onto the rim and damaged it. Just a theory.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()