Author Topic: New Rider SCARED also can't get it to stay started  (Read 3419 times)

charlotte

• View Profile
New Rider SCARED also can't get it to stay started
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
On my second ride, I ran into a parked truck. (meant to hit the breaks and hit the throttle instead)

My brother fixed the scooter ($350 in parts) and he rode it around to make sure it was all better. One month later and I am just getting up my nerve again. But now, I can't get it to stay started. mmm. I may have forgotten something or maybe having it sit for a month has done something. I have a Blue Grand Vista, and am in need of a local riding friend to help me get my nerve back up.

Inland Empire, CA

Thanks for listening!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: New Rider SCARED also can't get it to stay started
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »
Go to msf-usa.org and sign up for a class near you. It will build your confidence immeasurably, and teach you some very necessary skills to keep you riding safe.

In the meantime, try to remember -- begin by braking with your left hand (rear brake) first. Then, consciously apply the right brake, mindful NOT to twist the throttle.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
Keeping it started may just be a simple matter of adjusting the idle higher. Or, if it has sat for more than just a month, it may need a carb cleaning.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
I agree, take the MSF riders training.
Be sure to get the safety gear for the course.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx

Or better, the Calif. site.  http://www.ca-msp.org/

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
thank you. Took the motorcycle class after the accident and feel better now than before it. Now I just need some safe space to practice, practice, practice. Will try your suggestion and some of the things I've read here about keeping it started.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »
thank you. Took the motorcycle class after the accident and feel better now than before it. Now I just need some safe space to practice, practice, practice. Will try your suggestion and some of the things I've read here about keeping it started.

Good for you!  The important thing is to remain aware of the risks, but to manage them. Even walking across the street has its risks, remember.

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
Hi all,

If it's not dangerous then we don't like to scoot around or far...far...away. ;D
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:50:24 AM »
Update on not starting. After trying to just let it warm up and it still dying every time I gave it even a little gas, my brother and father feel it is a throttle issue and needs a carburetor cleaning. Since I don't know anything about mechanics, I'm going to let them do whatever they want.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »
It sounds like a dirty carb.
Using a fuel system cleaner may help. 
SeaFoam is good, just add the correct amount.
If you can ride the scooter, about 3 tanks-ful the performance should improve .

Also, I add Sta-Bil to my gas every time I fill up,
so if I don't ride for a shile, I don't have to
worry about the fuel going bad.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
Update on not starting. After trying to just let it warm up and it still dying every time I gave it even a little gas, my brother and father feel it is a throttle issue and needs a carburetor cleaning. Since I don't know anything about mechanics, I'm going to let them do whatever they want.

Just be patient with your bike, you will appreciate it ride. If the first one caused you trouble, then sell it to buy another one. I had experience myself.
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
Remember to relax. Practice will make you a better rider. We all drop our scoots or have run into things.  Rule number one:: when you start to panic let go of the throttle. Practice on back roads, I rode around a housing complet area for weeks, around and around and around. This helped to to brake, do corners, watch for kids, dogs and cars. I was only going 15-20 MPH at first-- for weeks!! I just rode on my first interstate(Highway 80) and was so scared.  Keep us posted on how your doing. Get out and get some practice.
Enjoy

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()