Author Topic: Instaling malosi variator seems prety tricky  (Read 4406 times)

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
Instaling malosi variator seems prety tricky
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
Hello guys , just got my transmission parts yesterday (belt and multivar 2000) and today I'ved tryed to "throw" them into scoot ... with the variator was an easy task no problem there... but with that spring ..man it's hard. First I couldn't open the nut from the clutch bell . I went to a near by "tire changer", on scoot just with the new belt and variator with 6 gr rollers to see how it works without spring. It was awful ... it took 3 km to reach 70 km/h, I could eat a pizza in that time :)). Anyway I loosed the nut, screwed it back with a key hoping it won't unloose on the way back home ... I got back home , opened the bell... then disaster strike... a 40mm nut... how the hell I can open that ? I gaved up this night, hoping I will dream at something usefull... I don't have a 40 pipe wrench , just a french key ... and nothing to hold the clutch...

Now I have to wait until monday when I will catch a scooter service open and ask/pay them to open that nut ... or maybe some of you have a good imagination or tricks and are willing to share them.

Thanks

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Instaling malosi variator seems prety tricky
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
G'day sticlistul, with mine, I just cut a spanner out of a piece of 2 1/2" steel flat bar. I looked at all the tool suppliers in town and could not find a 39mm spanner. The next option was a pair of stillsons or a very large shifter.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
so a squere bar of 2 and a half inch will lock on that nut ? hmm I think I will dream well tonight :)) ... I have to inmprovise ...cuz the services open monday ... but also monday I have to be at work ... on scooter ... I hope :)) , thanks mate ... I am happy to listen others ideeas

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »
I wrap the clutch and torque driver in a rag and carefully clamp it in a vise.  Then I use a big crescent wrench to loosen the 39mm nut. Watch out before you completely remove the nut, the clutch is under pressure from the main spring and will fly off when the nut is removed.   

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »
If you want to spend a little time with a drill, saw and file you can make a spanner to fit. I was wrong in my earlier post, the flat bar I used was 2" not 2 1/2". If you ntake a piece of 2"x1/4" flat bar, I used 7 3/4" long. Just mark the hexagon on there, drill out the corners and file to size, should be able to do it in an hour. Once finished, you will have the spanner for life. Here is a pic of the one I did, was not happy with the finish but it does the job. Also a pic of the template i drew for it.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:52:13 PM »
didn't make it ... I don't have the tools , tomorow I will try at a scooter service nearby . Strange this is that I'ved put 4.5 gr rollers and the rev was going up very quickly but the speed wasn't there ... it took about 10 sec to 50 km/h and didn't passed 60-65 km/h with no wind should that spring do that much of a difference ? I don't know if I did something wrong ... the belt it matters on what side you put it or what ? What bothers me is that I don't have even the performance from before 70km/h...

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Ok there is something wrong for sure ... I'ved put the white spring today , just did few km  but the max speed was 70-71 with perfect wind and 65 with wind from sideways go knows what I will get with wind from front ... so, what should I check ? the starting is too good to be the valves, just did the adjustments 1000 km before, tires have right pressure 2,1 in back wheel and 1.7 in front one. Could be the carb? Last time I'ved checked the spark plug it was half whitish half black ... and a bit o ceramic was cracked but nothing wrong with electrode.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
If the ceramic was cracked, I guess you replaced the plug? If the torque spring was stiffer you will need heavier rollers.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
not yet... I thought it's still ok. I have 6 gr rollers in variator, those which came with the pack ... I don't know how to explain the engine seems to rev ok but it just doesn't go all the way on that variator .
 Tomorow I will get an other spark plug ... I don't think it's that the problem but I will try ...

grouchysmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
I'm very impressed by sidthesloth's creativity in making the 39mm spanner wrench.  I personally would not attempt removal of the variator or clutch without an impact gun and socket.  This does not have to be expensive, here in the US you can easily find electric impact guns for under $50 USD.  They are extremely useful tools, I use mine all the time.  I don't know if they will sell to your location, but such a gun can be found at www.harborfreight.com

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
If you did find a 39mm socket, I think it would be fairly costly. I do have a pneumatic impact gun, but I would not want to use that on my crankshaft.

grouchysmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:21 AM »
39mm is a big nut.  Time to break out the jumbo socket set!

I'm wondering why they put something so large in there?  I worked on numerous 50-500cc scoots and never encountered a fastener that size.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
To fit over the housing that holds the bearing is my guess.

sticlistul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
I was astonished and couldn't stop laughing when I saw how the guy from service loosed the nut . He took a french key with 40 cm long tail , fixed the key for the 39 nuts  and hit the tail of the key on the ground 2 or 3 times and that was it ... in 3 sec he did something I didn't managed to do in 2 days :)) ...

About speed, the variator makes all the money , I did what I think it was more then 88km/h in a nice 3km slope with turnings  ,I did that slope 4 or 5 times it worth to go uphill with 45km/h back up to do that hill so many times :)) . My problem is the engine ... in winter i'ved chaged the piston rings and my stupid move was to put an other piston too ... and that piston seemed to raise more then the old one ... so that should explain the lack of power ... but that's how it will die until I get a 70-80 cc kit .

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
Well, I am glad you have got your speed back, but, I must ask, what is a french key?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()