Author Topic: Oil of Choice?  (Read 1873 times)

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
Oil of Choice?
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
Hi Peeps,

I've been out of scooting for a while (7 years). Not really sure what I should be planning to do for maintenance. I know that oil changes during the break in period is really important (or so I have heard), so is there a particular oil that I should use for longevity and performance? I have heard that Royal Purple should be my first choice. True, not true or does it even matter? Answers please?

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Re: Oil of Choice?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:31 AM »
Royal Purple is the best synthetic right now. I am not sure how much better than say Mobile 1. I am rteating the bike on the first change to RP but may switch snthetics later on. I haven't researched them well enough yet so I figured put in the best now and research it later.

Make sure you put a sythetic in the final drive as well. Not for longevity butu a good synthetic there can actually slightly increase the HP making it to the ground. This could then also in the long run increase MPG too. I have yet to test these theories out yet...........

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
Royal Purple is the best synthetic right now.

I would love to hear how exactly did you come to that conclusion.

There's absolutely no way of knowing/testing oils for "better then" or "worse then", other
then checking if the label fits what's inside (viscosity etc), and that means nothing when
it comes to quality.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
Primarily from word of mouth and various forums etc. Not that it is neccesarily better but it is first grade. As mentioned for a grade 1 synthetic that I will use primarily down the line I'll have to research it out better at a later point. I really hadn't planed on switching over this early to synthetic but it seems to be ok on these bikes.

I originally planed at purchase doing this at 3,000 miles so thought I had time, since I researched the time frame and everyone seems to be fine at first service changing over I fell on the one name I knew was good. It is the best as I know of none, nor have heard of one, better at the moment. Again I may change my position on this down the line.................

Edit, one link below though...........

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:20:25 PM by TANWare »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »
Primarily from word of mouth and various forums etc.

Ever wondered how do THEY know?
They don't.

You will never be able to prove a bike died early because of bad oil, or lasted longer
because of good oil, there's just NO WAY to prove it, and there's a lot of other
factors to consider.

All we/you can do is buy 'expensive', change often, and hope it works out.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
Actually with the link I provided the Penrite oil looked promising and is more within the recomended viscosity range. It may be something to look into. I wish they would have also compared to AMSOil.

So long as you change out as per recomendation you should be fine. The thing with a great synthetic is you can run alot of miles as the lowered friction reduces internal heat alowing the oil to last longer without breaking down and causing "GUNK" build up. With a great synthetic you can pull the engine appart after many miles and still see all that shiny metal. Usually with little to no dissernable wear too.

Little to no wear equates to the same performance from the engine as day one. With mechanical lifts there should be less cam wear keeping performance up. With little wear compression should stay high. So it isn't to keep the engine from failing, it is to keep the performance up from normal wear and tare........................

Edit; also less internal friction CAN mean increased power and better gas mileage from increased efficiency...............
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:08:05 PM by TANWare »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()