Author Topic: Super 8 Rectifier  (Read 2873 times)

Cardie

• View Profile
Super 8 Rectifier
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
Just a few questions :)

Is the rectifier the unit in the front of the bike with a sort of heat sink on the top and a black connector?
If it is its the cause of my bike nearly catching fire, theres lots of black/brown gooey stuff leaking from it and the red wire going into it has melted (thanks to me) if i replaced this and the wire is there anychance of it blowning my fuses again?

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 Rectifier
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
Yes, that is the regulator.  What it does is convert the A/C current produced by your stator and convert it to D/C with about a 14.5v output to charge the battery and run some of the lights and accessories. (usually brake light, turn signals, horn, fuel gauge)  On some models it also runs the cdi.  If your engine runs without the battery or regulator, then you have an A/C cdi which runs directly off of the stator.

What happened is your regulator probably went bad and was putting more than 14.5v to you battery.  When you jumped the fuse, the excess current fried the wiring.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
Thank you helps a lot, does this mean the engine will run without the regulator? Im guessing it wont be safe as it may over charge the battery.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
Thank you helps a lot, does this mean the engine will run without the regulator? Im guessing it wont be safe as it may over charge the battery.

Oh HELL no. It's a vital component to your charging and electrical systems.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:09:49 AM »
Yes if you have an A/C fired/triggered cdi, the engine will run without a voltage regulator with no ill effects.  However, I'm not sure you could leave the battery connected.  It may try to charge the battery with unregulated A/C current.  Either way, the lights would drain your battery quickly without it being constantly charged.  Usually only the headlight and rear tail lights run directly off of A/C current.  All the other lights won't work.  I would not recommend running you scoot without a voltage regulator.  I was just saying that it's not required to run the engine itself.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
Done all the wiring and taped up bad bits of other wires, fired up the engine and it ran fine, all electrics apart from the headlights (that wernt connected) worked :)

Just need to put the rectifier in and put all the panels back on :) Thanks for your help :D

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Awesome!  I'm glad you got it running!  Just make sure you finish up the wiring well!  I like to solder the connections and then put some marine adhesive lined heat shrink over them.  It seals it up, so you don't run into issues down the road!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()