Author Topic: Oil Help  (Read 2114 times)

ddrg

• View Profile
Oil Help
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:31:58 AM »
I changed my oil today for the second time at 631 miles.  I have been using Pennzoil Conventional (yellow bottle) 10w-40, based on my dealers recommendation.  As I expected, the oil was very dark compared to it's original transparent yellow color when new.  Should I continue using this kind of oil, or switch to a synthetic oil?

Thanks...  Duncan

Red Horn

• View Profile
Re: Oil Help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
Springing for Amsoil Scooter Oil would not hurt.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
I had my truck in for service and was called by the service manager...asking if I want the 50/50 oil in. Explaining the 50/50 oil, he stated that it is 50 % regular oil and 50% synthetic. Further he stated, it would be so many buck's more. In asking why, I was told that it would be better for the engine and the oil will not break down so quickly. I went with the 50/50. Days later I had seen on tv where the talk was on regular oil vs synthetic and heard it said that the synthetic is the best oil to use in engine's with all the technical break-thru in it's production. So, I suspect now that the 50/50 or the full synthetic oil for the scooter's would be the way to go. I am going to keep researching this being if this is true, we will have better life from our high rpm scooter engine's. I am not a mechanic nor a authority on oil or mechanic's. Is what I heard true to form...question's to the more knowledgeable? Oh and....also I heard that the 50/50 oil has more latitude over the recomended 3,000 mile oil change and would last just as great even to 5,000 miles. Hmm so what if all synthetic?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »
On a new motor, I run regular oil till the first oil change, at around 500 miles.  Then switch to a synthetic-blend (50/50) for the next 1000 miles.  At this point I would consider the motor "broken-in" and I switch to a full synthetic, and change regularly every 1000 miles.  The reasoning behind this is; synthetic oil offers superior lubrication which slows the break-in process where some wear and friction is beneficial to creating a good piston ring seal.  As for oil, that is your preference.  Personally, I use Mobil One.  I also recommend checking valve clearance at the same time the oil is changed. 

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
Fully agree with previous post. I have been told in distant past that use of conventional oil is essential during engine break-in to allow rings to properly seat. Another mechanic said the rings seat themselves almost instantly. Break-in oil is only in for short periods and basically to get any minute manufacturing metal partials out of engine ASAP. I error on side of petrol based oil for first couple changes. I am 100% sold on synthetics. Had a 96 Toyota with V6 bought new and ran 10,000 intervals beyond 200,000 miles. Oil was shown to me to have been discolored, but still possessing the nice thick filmy feeling between fingers. Used to run Castrol Syntech 5W50 that seemed to be best of all worlds to me. Last time I looked could not find it any where. Think they were bought out by another oil company and then dropped it from their line up. Plan to run 1,500 mile intervals on my upcoming scooter.

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »
OK, I finally got a scooter. A new 2009 Agility 125. Bought a few quarts of 15w40 Kymco specified petrol based oil. Will do first change at around 100 miles since have been told "no way to know what is actually in it now". Second planed at 500 and third 1200. For fourth plan to go to Royal Purple 15w40 full synthetic and on. Manual calls for first oil and gear oil change at 300km, which is about 185mi. SAE 90 has proven to be unavailable and planed on synthetic later anyway. Is it OK to go to 75w90 within the first few hundred miles?

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »
In regards to the gear oil, as long as you're not getting any metal particles in the oil when you change it, then you can start using synthetic. I use the Lucas 75W-90 Synthetic (and have since 100 miles), and don't have any problems.

Just remember to change oil early and often, since the whole point of oil changes on a new engine is to remove any wear particles before they can damage engine parts. I changed at 50, 100, 200 and 400 miles. Next change is at 800 miles, then at 600 mile intervals after that (so, oil change intervals of 50, 50, 100, 200, 400, 600).

Once you're no longer getting any metal particles in the engine oil (look at the oil in a shallow pan, under strong light), you can switch to synthetic.

My engine is at that point now, but I'm going to wait until 1000 miles, just to be sure it's fully broken in.

ddrg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:28:38 AM »
Thanks for all your help!  I changed my oil for the third time over the weekend at 1190 miles, and used Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic oil.  I'm hoping that the oil doesn't look as 'burnt' as the Pennzoil Conventional 10W-40 has after each change, when I next change it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()