Author Topic: Starting Problem with my New B&W 150  (Read 6712 times)

Scooter_NOT_Libby

• View Profile
Starting Problem with my New B&W 150
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
I have a new B & W 150--241 Km/149 Mi on it. I let it sit for 28 days (exactly) in fair weather (temps of 60-70 degrees F) without being run or ridden. Now it won't start.

More accurately, when I hit the starter button the engine catches, runs about 2-3 seconds, gets up to 2000 RPM on the tach, and then stops as suddenly as though the cut-off or ignition switch had been shut off.

I called the dealer, and their mechanic thinks it's probably that the main jet in the carburetor is gummed up from sitting. (I find that somewhat difficult to believe after a relatively short time with a 4-stroke engine.)

They will look at it for me, but I have to wait a week because they're so busy. (Like most scooter dealers in the US, their sales this summer have vastly outpaced the size of their service department.)

So, while I'm waiting, I'm trying to find ways to resolve the problem myself.

Has anyone here encountered anything similar?

Thank you.

Scooter_NOT_Libby

• View Profile
Re: Starting Problem with my New B&W 150
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »
A couple more details which may or may not be pertinent.

Before trying to start the scooter for the first time after its extended rest. I filled the tank from a can. It was fresh gas from a station, but, because I was not using a pump at a station, which would be equipped with an auto-shutoff sensor, I filled it to the very top of the fill-pipe (new owner, no accurate sense of how much it can hold.)

I thought there might be a possibility of vacuum lock if the vent hole in the filler cap had somehow gotten clogged, so I have opened the fuel fill pipe cap to vent it, but that doesn't seem to affect the starting problem.

I have tried cranking the throttle open about 1/8-1/4 turn before hitting the starter button, and in those cases it doesn't fire up at all.  When it does start, in the few seconds it's running, if I turn the throttle even a fraction, it dies instantly. At times it seems more like it's running too rich rather than too lean (as it would with a clogged carburetor jet).

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »
Was it out of gas when you parked it?
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Scooter_NOT_Libby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:41:08 AM »

No, it had about 3/4 gallon (maybe a bit more) in it after being run the last time (before it sat around). That's based on the fact that I added 1 3/4 gallons and the owner's manual says the tank capacity is 10 liters (2.6 gallons).

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:04:52 AM »
The reason I asked it I'm wondering if the float is stuck. Using a plastic headed hammer or a large screwdriver handle rap the carburetor float bowl sharply a couple of times. If that's the problem it may free it.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Scooter_NOT_Libby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »
Thanks for your response! What I really love about user-community discussions is that they give you quick access to literally decades--even centuries--of collective experience which includes just about every possible odd thing that can happen with a product.

I tried your technique, but, alas, no success in this particular instance. The scooter has gone off to the shop, and the mechanic has phoned to say that it is a clogged main jet on the carb.

He also said it would be a 1-hour repair.  That was 5 days ago..............

Given that neither the towing nor the service call fall under the warranty, and that I'm without a bike for 2 weeks at least,

Scooter_NOT_Libby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »
..............Given that neither the towing nor the service call fall under the warranty, and that I'm without a bike for 2 weeks at least,  this has been a real lesson in the importance of regular riding.

It would also obviously behoove me to learn how to do the service the mechanic is doing. I have a copy of the factory service manual, and it looks like a lot more than 1 hour's work of work to get to the carb jet--like removing body panels (and seat), carb connections, carb, and tearing the carb down, and then everything in reverse order.

There must be a quicker and easier way?  ???

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »
Hi there,

On the Bet & Win 150, it's really not that bad getting to the carburetor.  The seat is all you really have to remove, and if I remember correctly it's only a few 10mm bolts, the battery and a fuse box.  Perhaps an underseat light, but it's been a while since I've messed with it.

The tricky part, if you haven't done it before, is the carburetor.  Just to quickly purge the main jet though, here's a simple trick that you can do without even taking the seat off. 

Open up your seat, and empty it.  You should see a carburetor access hatch on the bottom.  Take this off, and then you can see the carburetor.  There is a brass colored cap (sometimes it's black plastic though) on the top of the carburetor.  This holds the diaphragm, slide and needle.  If you remove the cap (the screws can be a bugger) and then lift the diaphragm up and out (Needle and slide will be attached) you can simply spray a small bit of carburetor cleaner straight down into the atomizer, which is the hole that the needle will have come out of.  Many times, it's just a little gummed up, and this short blast of carb cleaner can clear it up without the need to take the whole carb apart.  You can follow through with compressed air if you like, but only very lightly.

The above method will work if the main jet is a little blocked up from gas beginning to tarnish.  If you actually have water or trash in the fuel though, you'll have to take it apart and give it the works.

I've got some pictures of a similar carburetor around here somewhere, I'll have to find them.

Where are you from Scooter_NOT_Libby?

Cheers!

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Yes, thats right scooter-not-libby, these people are happy to help complete strangers. I have been made to feel welcome and given good advice, no strings. Just people helping each other.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
Rock on!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()