Author Topic: It's time I came out  (Read 1669 times)

smilinjohn

• View Profile
It's time I came out
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »
......to introduce myself.  My name is John.  I'm 69 years old and this is my first motorbike experience.  I have lots of experience with snowmobile and 4-wheeling.  I live on Minnesota's western prairie, not too many miles from South Dakota.  After spending several weeks deciding what scoot to get and reading as much as I could muster up about the Super 8 150, I bought a used one that I spotted on Craigslist.  So, last Thursday I drove 330 miles round trip to get it.  It's a 2009 red and black with 566 miles on the speedo.  I put the bike in the cycle shop to have our local expert go through it.....changing oil, clean carb, change tranny lube, adjust valves, tighten bolts, loctite bolt threads, so muffler cap has less chance of evaporating, etc.  I passed the written permit test at the courthouse this morning and have hopes of getting "Zippy" back from the "clinic" this coming Friday.

I contacted Klaviator via PM, who strongly suggested I order a magnetic drain plug kit.  Does anyone else suggest an Improvement I should do or add?  The local expert recommends I continue with the stock tires, while I'm learning to ride this summer......changing them to something better at a later date.

:)John

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: It's time I came out
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
I plan on keeping the stock tires until they wear out.  I run out of cornering clearance before the tires run out of grip.

Get a digital camera (if you don't already have one) so you can post some pics of your new ride.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:33:41 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »
......to introduce myself.  My name is John.  I'm 69 years old and this is my first motorbike experience.  I have lots of experience with snowmobile and 4-wheeling.  I live on Minnesota's western prairie, not too many miles from South Dakota.  After spending several weeks deciding what scoot to get and reading as much as I could muster up about the Super 8 150, I bought a used one that I spotted on Craigslist.  So, last Thursday I drove 330 miles round trip to get it.  It's a 2009 red and black with 566 miles on the speedo.  I put the bike in the cycle shop to have our local expert go through it.....changing oil, clean carb, change tranny lube, adjust valves, tighten bolts, loctite bolt threads, so muffler cap has less chance of evaporating, etc.  I passed the written permit test at the courthouse this morning and have hopes of getting "Zippy" back from the "clinic" this coming Friday.

I contacted Klaviator via PM, who strongly suggested I order a magnetic drain plug kit.  Does anyone else suggest an Improvement I should do or add?  The local expert recommends I continue with the stock tires, while I'm learning to ride this summer......changing them to something better at a later date.

Welcome John.
Don't overdo it. Valve adjustment, transmission oil change and carb cleaning @566 miles is already "overdoing it".
:)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

smilinjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »
Welcome John.
Don't overdo it. Valve adjustment, transmission oil change and carb cleaning @566 miles is already "overdoing it".
:)

It's been my understanding that a valve adjustment and oil change was due at 200 miles.  Former owner's brother and family was not sure if the 200 mile checkup was done.  Former owner had lost interest in the S8, when in 2009, he bought a motorcycle.  The S8 has been sitting for 1-1/2 years without being ridden.  The carb is exhibiting symptoms of varnish, old gas sitting in the carb and/or fuel jet partially clogged.  I thought it best to begin at square one, so that's the reason for over doing it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()