Author Topic: 300i Wind Protection?  (Read 5041 times)

oldcoastie

• View Profile
300i Wind Protection?
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
 I'm giving some consideration to the Downtown 300i and the Grand Vista. I'm 5'3" and the GV fits very nicely, but I like the fuel injection on the 300i and feel that the bigger wheels will be more stable at speed.

When I look at the pics of riders, it looks like their knees kinda stick out past the fairing due to the floorboards and center hump.

I get cold now when I ride a bike, so I'm looking for good wind protection... any help you could give would be appreciated.

One of the things helpful on the GV is the stretch from the seat to the handlebars and the upright seating position... how does the 300i compare?

Thanks,
OC

Syl

• View Profile
Re: 300i Wind Protection?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »
My first consideration was the GV and I'm glad I settled for the DT 300i. Matter of fact there was less space from handle bars to seat on the GV and I am 6'1". I also liked the fact that with the 3/4 face shield on a helmet and the high windshield was just enough to help break down some of the wind. Yep, the tire consideration was for sure to go with the DT 300i.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
yea, see? I'm almost a foot shorter than you, Syl... I'm afraid I'll have to stretch too far or have to scoot too far up on the seat to be comfy...

When I sat tested the DT300, it didn't seem like a particularly long reach - certainly not as far as the XC500, but surely longer and higher than on the GV.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Man, at 5'3", The DT will fit you like a glove.  You can probably use the upper footrests too!

As for knees sticking out, it depends how you sit.  My knees genrally stay paralell.  Some people like the 'spread eagle' for their comfort - and knees in the wind.  LOL! 

The DT is good for a few seating positions for me: 
  Feet behind, lean forward (land speed record attempts)
  Feet under, back straight (standard)
  Feet under, lean back (cruising)
  Feet up, lean back (snoozing)

The wind protection is pretty formidable on the DT.  The only way you'll really know is to sling a leg over one - Then you'll know if it is going to be right for you.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
Yup - I have had a chance to sit on one (and a GV in the same shop)... I've got a bad neck  so handlebar reach is pretty critical... seat height on the 300 is very good and I'm thinking if push comes to shove on the handlebar distance, I could probably get the bumper butt that is so annoying to the tall actually pushed forward a little... still not liking the floorboard situation, but I'm thinking I'll adjust.

I'm looking for real upright seating - leaning forward like a speed racer is what gets my neck in trouble.

Currently riding a Vino 125 and my posture while bombing around is pretty crouched forward (of course, no windshield and I'm trying not to get blown off the seat ;-)

I'm looking for my be-all, end-all scoot and the fuel injection and larger wheels look like exactly what I would want.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
I posted at the other place too.  I think in your case, since you have both bikes for testing, is for you to test and buy the one that fits YOU best. I know the money is very different but if you buy the wrong one, it will ALL be money wasted. 

IMHO, it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what YOU think, after you have tested both. You are the one who is going to ride it and PAY for it. It needs to fit you and your needs, physically and financially.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
Went out this afternoon and sat on both again... no doubt the 300i is a beautiful bike and I find the specs on it very attractive.

But the GV just fits. 2 things stood out today. I was rolling the bikes around the shop just to see how much effort is involved in moving the bikes around. While there is very little difference in weight between the 2 bikes, the GV seems much easier to move. The GV is more "slender-waisted" on the floorboard. I have pretty effective leverage then and it makes the bike seem lighter.

The other is the handlebar ergonomics. The 300i has handlebars that are higher and wider than the GV. I'm thinking the thing that makes the GV seemed so cramped to so many is their position. Fortunately for me, my arms are in a more relaxed position and that takes the stress off my neck.

I guess I'm just going to have to learn all about carburetors.

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
You are approaching this in EXACTLY the right way!

I remember when I was in the market for a 600cc sport bike - I had my heart set on a GSXR.  I mean 100% done deal.  Then I sat on one.  The ergos made my shoulers ache after a minute on the showroom floor.

I ended up getting the Honda 600F4i.  I hadn't even considered it!  But when I sat on it, it just fit.  I grew to absolutely adore that bike.  Ergos can make or break a purchase!

Keep us posted on your exploits!!!

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:13 AM »
I even had made the case to myself for the extra money the 300i would cost...!

But the added "riding potential" is none at all if I physically can't ride the bike distance. Now as I'm driving around, I think "would I ride the GV here? and here? and there?" And outside of getting into heavy duty super slab (which would scare me silly no matter the bike), the answer is mostly "yes".

Now the question remains - red or white?

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »
I know how you feel about pain....I am an X many sport individual! Bad Knee, Bad Neck, Bad Elbows (Whisper know's about them! The worst part I have is I really can't sit the way I'd like on the DT due to that curved seat back. I try to sit straight but that \ slanted back is terrible. If I get sore and or tired riding, I will stop rest and take out my camera and work with my other hobby! Good Luck...

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
I laugh when I think of all the comfort farkles I would put on the GV... touring seat, wind deflectors... I've started to call it "The Old Lady Orthopedic Scooter".... but TOLOS is not the cutest name for a scoot...

::)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
Speaking of names.....why did they ever name the 300i (Downtown)!!! Wonder if they had a name contest to do this, or is just like Downtown!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
Buying a scooter needs to ensure that you will enjoy riding it or you will get something that hurts to ride .. an you won't.

As to the GV and super slab... it can run on the freeway just fine.  My P250 does all the time.  The Downtown will be better but if you spend 99% of you time on the surface roads and below 65 MPH. The GV will meet your needs very well. Your WANTS may be completely different.

If the GV fits better, get it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()