Author Topic: Weird Incident with Scooter  (Read 4107 times)

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
Weird Incident with Scooter
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
So this morning when I was going to go to work and my scooter did something weird.  Initially I started it this morning got my gear on and then gave it gas to leave and it just died.  Figured it was because it was cold, not a big deal.  Restarted and I was off no problem.  Stopped at the gas station and filled it up. Not quite to the top of the tank.  I could see that the gas was probably a couple inches from the hole.  Well left the gas station was about to turn at a stop light but when I gave it gas it died again.  Restarted and then same thing.  So I pushed it over to a parking lot and sat in there for about 10 min or more giving it gas and then it dying on me. Well finally got it to go and went to leave the parking lot.  Had to stop before pulling out to wait for cars, well it died on me again when i gave it gas.  Pulled it back into the parking lot and after another 5 min I got it to go and was able to get to work.  During this whole incident it idled just fine.  Only died when I gave it gas.  Its brand new, only has 57 miles on it.  I heard that if you overfill the tank you could have this problem, is that what this was?  Hope it gets me home after work.  Any insight it greatly appreciated.  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:12:09 PM by NewKymcoFan »

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Weird Incident with Scooter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
Was it really warm outside?  If so, try loosening the gas cap. If that fixes it, it was vapor lock.

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
It was probably in the 50's so wouldn't say warm. But I will check the cap when I head home tonight.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
Unless the scoot was parked in direct sunlight prior to your first starting it, I doubt you'd encounter vapor lock at those temperatures. I've had it happen in the upper 60sF, but again, usually only after an extended park in direct sunlight.

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:04:48 AM »
So no problems last night or today.  It started just fine and rode off no problem. Must have been vapor lock.  But I did have another somewhat unrelated problem.  When I am waiting at a stop light at night my headlight dim pretty low.  Is that normal when the scooter is idling.  I want to be as visible as possible even when I am not moving so it kind of concerns me.  I normally just give it some gas to brighten the lights but it would be nice to not have to do that.  Thanks.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »
Headlight dimming at low revs -- they all do that.

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:59 AM »
I figured just wanted to ask to make sure.  Thanks for your replies jprestonian

bucky639

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »
I'm starting to experience a similar problem. 

I was riding along the texas hill country yesterday and stopped at a starbucks for something iced (it hit 100 degrees while I was out).

after a 15 minute stop, during which my scooter was parked in the sun, I started her up and took off.

She bogged immediatly.  eased off the throttle and got under way but stoped a couple seconds later.  Had to wait to make a left turn...

as I got under way, on the road this time, the bike was bogging and stuttering.  the whole incident lasted 20 seconds.

No problems the rest of the ride. 

I think my scooter is experiencing heat soak.  Since they're air coold and they don't have fans the whole engine heats up when at rest.

A couple seconds with cooler air flowing over the important bits clears the problem. 

Thoughts?
I am glopezz05!

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Hey Bucky,

I ride everyday in Arizona and my commute home for an hour is usually in 110-118 degrees. I haven't seen this problem yet.
The most I have seen so far is drop in overall performance from the heat soak - a little less acceleration and about 5 mph lower top speed. But that's to be expected when the air intake temp is somewhere around 120-130 on the pavement...

I always let her warm up completely before getting on and twisting the throttle. Do you do that? Mine takes about 60 seconds or so for the auto choke to settle down.

--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

bucky639

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
Hey,

I went a bought a battery charger and let it chare completely.  I had to do this because the scooter sat for so long that the battery was almost useless.
I'm good now, it starts easily with the button as opposed to the kick. 

I haven't had the problem again but then we've been about 5-8 degrees cooler the past week.  Still 98-99 but better.

I don't really warm it up.  At least not sitting still.  I roll out of the apartment complex I live in at a relaxed pace.  I don't even get to half throttle untill I exit my gates, wich is about half mile away from my apartment.  Thats all I do.  Once I hit the road I'm full bore baby!
I am glopezz05!

Freerider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:26 AM »
Your original problem was similar to mine that led to the replacement of the stator.

I also had a problem with a fuse that looked good but when scooter got hot, scooter would not start after I stoped for a few minutes. i cam to find the fuse was bad as I used a test light and there was no power going through, when cooled the scooter started and there was power throu the fuse. Replaced the fuse and never had that problem again.

New problem is a serious vibration from rear wheel at 50 to 60 MPH, i find I can reduce vibration with a very accurate inflation of tires.

Tire does have a wobble not the wheel. Kymco dealer says tires not covered under warranty si I will replace it and see what happens.

Now to find a dealer available to replace the tire or do it myself.

Also seems to run with most power on Exxon Or Gulf super, gulf super also gives better mileage by about 10% according to my non scientific testing.

Hope you have overcome your problem.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()