Author Topic: Super 8 Adventures  (Read 1660 times)

NewKymcoFan

• View Profile
Super 8 Adventures
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
I just wanted to know what kind of trips everyone has gone on with their Super 8.  What is the farthest you have gone with it? I want to use mine to get out more and explore but I am going to wait until I break it in.  I was thinking of taking a trip from the SF Bay Area down to Monterey CA this summer (avoiding freeways) which is about 130 miles. Am I crazy to want to go that far with my scooter?

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 Adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
You are not crazy at all.  That sounds like the perfect trip.
I do find the stock seat on the Super 8 to be a bit hard and recommend inserting some foam.
I use the scooter for commuting and the longest ride that I have had was from the house of the guy I purchased it from.
I have been on day trips on a motorcycle and have always enjoyed it.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
I got my S 8 about three months ago and just went over 1000 miles.  My longest trip was about 175 miles last weekend.  Just make sure it is broken in before taking it on a long trip.  I have a ride report with lots of pics here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:39:15 AM »
I agree. I'm looking to make a long day trip this spring. Up notrth away from San Antonio for breakfast, west for lunch then back to town for dinner and late night viewing of the alamo!
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Dion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »
I have a longer trip planned up to Manitoba this coming summer (roughly a 2300 mile round trip) and am currently prepping my S8 150 for long distance reliability rather than going the performance route. To me and a few other riders I know, this means checking everything twice, tuning the carburator, changing the rollers to slightly heavier Dr. Pulley items and changing the bodily fluids on a regular bases. Currently at about 600 miles (I got it in November of 2010) it will soon be on its second oil change and then starting synthetic at the third change.

One thing I found out when I was going over the bike ... there were a lot of loose nuts, bolts and cap nuts on the trim pieces, external turn signals the end cap of the muffler etc. I used a 1/4 inch drive, socket set to tighten these up and still check on all of them about once every two weeks.  

This little bike was even fun in snow ... up to a point. When it got over the hubs and started to high center on ruts, well, I keep a KLR 650 around for the really crappy stuff.

Fun bike, I've been getting between 73 and 78 mpg - hopefully that will be even higher when it doesn't require a long start up time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:01:58 AM by Dion »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()