Author Topic: Easiest Tail Mod EVAR.  (Read 3304 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Easiest Tail Mod EVAR.
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
  I was lamenting at the truly gargantuan, black, plastic tailfeathers on the scoot.  On any of my bikes, I think they all look better when you can show a little back tire.

Normally a tail-tidy is the way to go, but I haven't seen any.  When the situation is dire enough, I'll use the Dremel to liberate the unnecessary bits.  However, the Downtown allowed me to reduce the tail with just 3 screws!!!!

Take a look at the bit under the license plate holder - The line going horizontally isn't decoration, it is actually segmented!  Behind the mudflap (You'll need a short phillips headed screwdriver to loosen them) are 3 screws holding them on.  Needless to say - 5 minutes later, MUCH BETTER!

If my description is a little muddy, take a look at the pics (Before, After, and the part I removed) - It is dead simple.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Easiest Tail Mod EVAR.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
With the current size of our licence plates, it would look the same with or without the flap you removed..  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »
Wish my Xciting had that removable segment!  I've thought many times I would dremel that thing shorter. 

I think the only reason they make them so long is to keep from throwing rooster tails of water on buddies riding behind you.  It certainly isn't necessary if you're riding alone. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
The first thing all people do on forums is remove the rear fender and this is even called "tail mod"!

Most of those people do not drive scoots and especially motorcycles in the rain or when the road is wet, otherwise, they would find out why is that piece of plastics there, when they would develop a skunk-type mud stripe in the middle of their helmet-jacket-trousers-seat-rear side of the scoot.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
  Fortunately, not on this one, Axy.  The wheel is WAY under the tail - And Kymco was kind enough to put on that stock rear hugger.  No reverse skunk stripe for us.

Did the same thing to my crotchrocket...  But with a Dremel.  Turned out excellent.  Once again, the wheel is too far under the tail to cause any issue. 

Gotta love that Tupperwareâ„¢!

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
Top box helps too.

But I'm generaly against such mods, I would actually ADD more protection
on most bikes. My Agility has a huge fender AND a hugger. It's extremely
fugly but works great.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()