Author Topic: Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?  (Read 116 times)

Stig / Major Tom

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15446
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?
« on: October 03, 2026, 12:38:49 AM »
Me:
2 heart caths - off 1 week each
knee surgery following work injury, off three weeks
Sciatica, kept riding
2 broken toes, kept riding
Rode, probably illegally, through covid lock-down order.
hospitalization, sepsis, for 8 days - off scoot 3 weeks
currently, lower leg cellulitis - 8 days so far - at least 6 or 7 more. Frustrated, but trying to be smart
(as i told my doc, "my kickstand is on that side. Need to keep the leg!")

Actually - the longest periods of parking the scooters followed the sudden passing of a daughter (2015), and my pup last Xmas.

Not giving up dawn runs for coffee....


Stig



Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

monkeybongos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 302
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2026, 02:32:35 PM »
Was the time off after losing your pup due to mourning or weather?
 
Hope this doesn’t sidetrack the thread, but it’s related to your mention of that sad passing. One of our cats died suddenly one morning a couple years ago.  We’ve had a few over the years, but this one (Olive) was my feline soul mate, and it hit hard. 

Went for an errand ride later that day, but my mind was not 100% present. Hit the brake approaching a yellow light, however the bike wouldn’t stop.  I ended up going through a red light way late, panicking and honking the horn.

Turned out I hadn’t let go of the throttle, due to being distracted by Olive’s passing. Got away w it as no one jumped the green light.  Someone was looking out for me, I could have easily been in a nasty collision. Lesson learned.  If your mind isn’t all there, stay home.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Stig / Major Tom

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15446
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2026, 03:32:38 PM »
Turned out I hadn’t let go of the throttle, due to being distracted by Olive’s passing. Got away w it as no one jumped the green light.  Someone was looking out for me, I could have easily been in a nasty collision. Lesson learned.  If your mind isn’t all there, stay home.

Absolutely agree. Most often I find my rural rides in the dark to be very pleasant and relaxing - mind clearing as I focus on my headlighted road. Looking for deer - but not hyper about it. If riding at night, dry or even raining, made me tense,  I  wouldn't do it.
But I've found that I need to stay off of two wheels when I'm distressed - or anxious. I just can't keep my mind on what I'm doing.  I'll arrive and not remember the last two miles.

Driving requires concentration - riding requires much more from me!

Thanks for your post!


Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3141
  • Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:27 PM »
I totally agree with the mental aspect of riding...your mind MUST be in the game or you risk a lot. When I first got back into riding 11 years ago I remember many times heading out for a ride and turning around pretty quickly when I just wasn't feeling it.

To the original question, no, I 've luckily never had any ailments or health issues that prevented me from riding. At age 60 I'm lucky to never have had any health issues or been on any type of medication. Lots of OTHER things keep me from riding...taking care of my house, lawn, elderly mother's house and lawn, elderly mother's doctor visits, my kids still needing rides everywhere, terrible weather (too hot or too wet), etc.

Add to this I have the bad habit of disassembling things so I often times have at least 1 or 2 bikes down awaiting repair.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15446
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries/ailments you've ridden thru - those you haven't?
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:40:28 PM »

Add to this I have the bad habit of disassembling things so I often times have at least 1 or 2 bikes down awaiting repair.

T-shirt on its way to you: "Don't foolwidit!"

I think I changed the oil for AMSOIL at the 120 mile mark on my new LIKE200iLX.
I was under the impression that they used fish squeezin's in China for engine oil when shipping to the States.
I've settled down some since.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.