Author Topic: Tire recommendation for ak550  (Read 64 times)

jmcook1975

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Tire recommendation for ak550
« on: Today at 04:01:00 AM »
My AK550 came with Dunlop sportmax gpr-100s.  I like the tires a lot, but does not look like it is available in the US market.  Anyone else have this tire?  What did you replace it with and how does it compare?

Tromper

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 794
  • Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Tire recommendation for ak550
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:50:25 AM »
Wish I could give ya a straight response, but I only almost bought an AK, instead I picked up the last year of the AN650.

With that noted. I picked up the Bridgestone Battlax Scooter SC2 Rain tire for the big Burger and have been delighted with 'em.

Poke around the various forums and reddit of course. Caveat Emptor etc. They're not cheap but I suspect you could do worse.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

jmcook1975

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Tire recommendation for ak550
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the response.
Somehow I always manage to get the odd duck from the dealer.  Shadow I had years ago (2009) came stock with Maxxis tires (which even then didn't sell street tires in the US)....and I loved those tires.  ..and now this guy with the Dunlops you can't get here.

From what I'm seeing looks like the only tires I'm going to find easily are:
Metzler FeelFree (I guess these are actually the OEM tires now).
Bridgestone BattleAxe SC2 (rain or regular).
Shinko SR 567.

So, really think it's probably a choice between the Metzler and the Bridgestone.
And then rain or not on the Bridgestone.

I've had the Dunlop's on the Kymco for just shy of 12k.  Not quite to the wear bars on either, but getting there.  How long have you had those on the Berger? 

I'm feeling the rains are the way to go, but wondering if any concerns in the hotter weather.  I live in TX and do ride when it's over 110 out.  What's the weather like where you're riding?