Author Topic: Rebuild engine or new scooter?  (Read 1288 times)

sw19

• View Profile
    • Stan Wagner's Portfolio
Rebuild engine or new scooter?
« on: August 30, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »
The engine on my People 150 recently destructed itself after 30,000 km. I bought it used a year ago and put on about 5,000 miles. The question I kept going over in my head was whether to buy another scooter or, repair this one. After looking around for a used one on my price range (none), I looked into a new one. The People S200 is a nice bike but, at only 163 cc's, it was only 11 cc's larger in displacement  than my People 150. I couldn't see spending $3,500 on it.
So, my engine is being completely rebuilt. And, when done will be like a new scooter with zero milage on the engine. The rest of the bike is in pristine condition. I got a great deal when I bought it, and even after sinking some bucks into the repair, is still worth the total amount I've spent on it.  I'll have a dependable bike that can easily keep up with a new S200.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:08:10 PM by sw19 »
-Stan

Belkwinith

• View Profile
Re: Rebuild engine or new scooter?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:33 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.
I am also doing my own body work on my 150. I dumped it and scraped up the left side. Because I am curious, I looked into the process of sanding out the scratches and repainting it. So far the sanding and bondo has gone okay. Of course there are lots of info on the web of which products to use. I got most of my info from a sport bike site.
I am now looking for an airbrush on ebay for the painting. If it looks terrible I can always cover it with some vinyl stickers or, because I am a graphic artist, I am thinking of "pimpin" it up.
I have to say the wet sanding process is pretty easy and I am amazed at how smooth the finish is now... I will let you know what happens after I paint it. But so far, the total cost for sand paper, bondo and paint has been around $40.00.  But when you add in the air brush and other items, it may go up to around $100-$200.00. And I kinda like the idea of a new hobby, scooter painting.
-Belkwinith

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()