Author Topic: 09 one way mystery exhaust hose  (Read 1431 times)

Willy Run

• View Profile
09 one way mystery exhaust hose
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
My 09 2 cycle People 50 has the newer type exhaust with the "extra" tube.  I tried to install an early style exhaust off a 04 but had trouble.  Mechanically the 2 are a match but I'm having trouble tracing out the extra "plumbing" that’s connected to the factory pipe.  Leaving it disconnected is causing the engine to stall and run poorly.  There's a rubber hose that feeds somewhere but I'm not sure where it goes or what it's for.  When you trace the routing it goes under the foot panel and then up into the steering column.  I haven't been able to find any return to the carb.  It just seems as if it's fed up into the column and stops.  It becomes a lot of trouble to pull apart and remove and I thought some of you folks may already have a solution.  I thought I'd try an easy way and just plug it but the bike would hardly run.  2nd I just left if open.  The engine ran better but still was stalling and torque/pulling problems.  I put the original back on and she runs good as new.  I wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between the 2 mufflers that would require rejetting just to make it run.  That hose has got to loop back to the engine somehow mechanically or maybe converted to an electrical signal?  I can't find it.  I see other members posting their intent to do the same thing.  Anyone know where it goes, what it is and/or how to bypass?

Thanks,

Jeff 

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: 09 one way mystery exhaust hose
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
That hose does nothing. Put your finger over the hose there should be no vacumm. I left mine wide open just tucked inside the body. The reason it was not running right was because the main jet size is very small with the factory restricted setup. You'll probably need at least a #85 main jet with an 04 pipe. You may want to put some 1/2" holes in the air box cover that helps too.

A lot of people on here including myself have drilled the hole in the main jet bigger to rejet. If you go too big just a little solder fills the hole in again.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

luc1992

• View Profile
Re: 09 one way mystery exhaust hose
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
Hey, you probably solved the problem by now but i just thought i would give my input.
I installed an aftermarket pipe and also wondered what this extra rubber tube was. i just ended up tucking into the body like Peters said.
You would be surprised how much of a difference the pre 04' pipe makes. The thing that solved my problems was up-jetting (i am running a #92 but i have a high flow exhaust, like peter said 85 sounds good) and installing a K&N universal air filter. the air filter did wonders because drilling holes did not really seem to work for me.
Hope you got it running!
- Lucas

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()