Author Topic: Need a new HT Lead  (Read 2711 times)

Cardie

• View Profile
Need a new HT Lead
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
Was trying to fit this rev counter I got this afternoon when I noticed the HT lead had popped out, not off the spark plug, but out of the plug itself so I was just left with an exposed cable. Had a look at it and it was coverd in copper erosion (greeny blue colour) and rust. Surprised it was actually running at all and it looks as if its been like that for a while! Any ideas where I can get a new Cable.... It did seem to look as if the coil itself was non removeable, hopefully I dont have to buy a new coil aswell :(!

Merry Christmas!!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Need a new HT Lead
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
Is there any chance you can snip a quarter inch or less off the old one and re-use it, say with a new cap?  A pair of wire cutters or "side cutters" would cut it.  The metal is probably good down inside, just a little further back in.  The spark plug cap usually "screws" into the wire.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »
No evidence of anying 'screwable' just popped out, looks as if it had snapped clean off.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Look down in the plug cap.  There should be a metal spike in there which has spiral threads.  Hard to see but it should be so.  Push the wire in there firmly and begin turning in the usual direction(clockwise).  Maybe two or three turns or untill it won't turn any more.  You can lubricate the outside of the lead with some silicone spray or even a little spit to facilitate the operation.  ;)

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
Thanks mate will give it a try :)!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Good.  Of course, take the plug cap off the plug to do the job.  When finished, push cap back onto plug.

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:47:03 AM »
Yes.  Need to find one for your model and year. 

I assume the old one was beyond repair? 

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
I took it to a garage this afternoon and he said he will strip back the cable and fit a new plug for the same price as a hole new one :) Il do it when im off on thursday.

By the way, that coil on ebay looks pretty much identical, its off a 4stroke 50cc kymco so it should be the same engine?

The old Cap and cable still work but its getting full of crap and probably not sparking like it should.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 04:54:48 AM »
Hi Cardie.  I couldn't say about the ebay part.  Mine is a 500.  Why don't you post the question in the Technical/How To section and see if one of the 50cc owners will answer.   Good luck!  ;)

Cardie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Had it done today, turns out the spark plug cap was rotted completly, maybe it was never done properly at the factory!

Stuck an NGK cap on it and sorted out the cable. Must say it seems much more responsive, plus all the crappy carbon build up in the exhaust should blow out now its firing properly :)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 03:06:04 AM »
That's great.  ;)  Thanks for the report.   Your solution could help someone else with similar problems down the road.   Safe scootin, Cardie. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()