Author Topic: AK550 Seat not latching/locking  (Read 111 times)

bmwjean

• View Profile
AK550 Seat not latching/locking
« on: March 25, 2024, 07:54:03 PM »
Hello all,

Has anyone had a problem with their AK550 seat not locking?  Is it necessary to add shims between the seat and the lock "loops"? 

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 Seat not latching/locking
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 09:24:37 PM »
Hello all,

Has anyone had a problem with their AK550 seat not locking?  Is it necessary to add shims between the seat and the lock "loops"?

Are you the same owner who posted on the ADV Riders forum?
I put a reply there since I saw it there first. But in case this is a coincidence and you are not the same owner...

There is also a solenoid that actuates from pressing the button on the control knob that is located near the right side latch. I found that every BIG once in a while (meaning twice in my 2.5 yrs of ownership) this has happened and both times it turned out that when the seat was opened the latches didn't stay open, or perhaps something I did caused them to close, so the seat didn't lock when I closed the seat. In both cases I simply pressed the silver button on the control knob again to open the latches and all worked fine.

Have you tried that?

I also added a seat latch release mod for emergencies and other instances when I want to open the seat without turning the power on. I posted a thread here and on the ADV Riders forum as well as on the BurgmanUSA forum how to do this.
Here is a link to that thread from the Technical/How to sub forum here: https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32376.msg227485#msg227485

One more note... you DO power OFF the bike by turning the knob to the LEFT off position don't you?
The right OFF position does not really turn the bike off but simply turns off the engine and dash lights as a safety measure for fueling the bike. I use the right off position when I stop for a photo or to quickly run into a store within sight of the bike and don't feel the need to turn off the bike completely. Turning the knob to the right allows anyone to come along and turn it to the ON position and ride off without the fob being anywhere near.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

bmwjean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:01:18 PM »
Yes, same owner. Will continue this post on ADVRider unless someone here is not a member.  (Let me know and I'll duplicate my findings here if necessary.)

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 05:07:13 AM »
I found the seat latching mechanisms on my 500 to be touchy and annoying, so I took them off.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()