Author Topic: nearest deer miss yet!  (Read 203 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
nearest deer miss yet!
« on: March 21, 2024, 01:27:48 PM »
(this is an old photo of the area)

It was 23°F at dawn today, I had stuff to do - so all combined to keep me closer to home on my LIKE200i.
Tooling around the reservoir at my typical 28>31mph when a nice sized deer came out of the left scrub .
Deer are SO well colored that they can be surprisingly hard to pick up - easier if they are moving!
It came out of the scrub to the left - running quickly. I only just caught him in my good right eye! (my left eye damaged due to glaucoma)

We were about 15' from one another when I squeezed the brakes...about 6' when I had slowed significantly, and he passed.
I didn't stop - we'd missed each other...plus a car was following!
I'd wager that this old 1st Gen. LIKE200i has maybe the best non ABS brakes on a small scooter. Front & rear discs, VERY powerful and very easy to modulate!

Even on abbreviated rides I'm fully geared with armored pants, boots, jacket, gloves and helmet - so we'd have bruised each other - maybe not much more than that.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooter freak

• View Profile
Re: nearest deer miss yet!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 02:57:31 PM »
I agree on the braking, think they're pretty strong. I also think experience was on your side. good luck out there and by the way, I know its no milestone but my like 2020 200i just turned 3000 miles. 3rd year of ownership. purchased new as a leftover

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 03:01:13 PM »
my nearest miss was a slalom between mamma doe and baby fawn as they walked in front of me
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 03:46:33 PM »
Reflexes like a cat!  Well, maybe ScooterFreak is nearer the mark, years of experience plus ace brakes?  Whatever, glad there was no coming together.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 04:09:31 PM »
I agree on the braking, think they're pretty strong. I also think experience was on your side. good luck out there and by the way, I know its no milestone but my like 2020 200i just turned 3000 miles. 3rd year of ownership. purchased new as a leftover

Scooter,
If my 2012 model yr, (purchased new 2013) LIKE ever blew up I'd be out there looking for a new left-over one!
Bulit proof bike and easy to service. What's not to like?!
I remember when I looked down and saw 4,000 on mine. "I could have ridden this thing coast-to-coast!"...and it didn't break!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 12:59:00 AM »
I've had some close calls and then there was the one that wasn't close.  I hit a deer going around 65.  I went down and tumbled and slid to a stop on the pavement from 65 to a stop.  I walked away with no major injuries.  I rode the bike around 100 miles to get home but it was pretty bent up.  That was around 15 years ago.  Since then I have come closer to hitting some large birds than I have deer. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 01:04:37 AM »
my closest wildlife encounter was with a moose, no contact, but I swear I coulda reached out and touched it
RandyO
IBA#9560

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:10:33 PM »
Since then I have come closer to hitting some large birds than I have deer.

I’d swear birds play chicken on the roads, seeing how close they can cross in front of oncoming vehicles—especially 2wheelers. 

Imagine them gossiping at the end of the day:  “I crossed this close in front of a scooter, you should have seen the look on that guys face!”
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 12:24:28 PM »
deer are a menace, here. We have so many that I won't ride on certain roads at dusk....and there are other roads I won't even DRIVE my car on at dusk due to the number of car-deer accidents that happen.

A youtube motorcycle channel I watch showed the guy's girlfriend filling their 'deer feeder' at their house! Who feeds deer?? What, do want more of them running around to kill you quicker on your bike?? Crazy.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 12:46:08 PM »
deer are a menace, here. We have so many that I won't ride on certain roads at dusk....and there are other roads I won't even DRIVE my car on at dusk due to the number of car-deer accidents that happen.

A youtube motorcycle channel I watch showed the guy's girlfriend filling their 'deer feeder' at their house! Who feeds deer?? What, do want more of them running around to kill you quicker on your bike?? Crazy.

I-80 thru PA is like that, not just at dusk, I swear the DOT plants deer browse in the median on purpose, one big food plot, Don't follow a big truck too close, they just mow em over and leave surprise road kill
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()