Author Topic: One step closer to a `23 AK550 from the factory  (Read 207 times)

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
One step closer to a `23 AK550 from the factory
« on: March 18, 2024, 08:19:46 PM »
Hello friends, its been a while since I`ve posted. I have owned and happily operated a 2011 DT300 since 2012 and as of 24,000 miles there have been zero issues outside of one "I didnt torque the spark plug tight enough" incident but the Orange Crusher still got me home!
I`ve become a Kymco believer and fan and when I saw that they had a larger cruiser a few years back I inquired about it at my dealership where I got my DT300 and there were some issues, as in they dont stock them and theres a large fee to bring one over at that time, etc I think there were still Covid issues.
Fast forward to today and I have a couple money dumps coming at me and the second thing on my mind outside of some hunting property up north in Michigan is getting an AK550 underneath me.
This time my dealership responded positively and they can get me one from the factory in the color I want (Silver) I just need to put down some $$$, which is no problem.
The reason I want an AK550 is that its a more luxurious touring Scooter.
Looks like the AK is something with a good suspension and made for longer rides in comfort and because Kymco has done me so good with the DT300 theres no reason to look at other brands.
It only makes sense to move up a notch with the brand that has been so awesome to me since 2012 and thats Kymco.
My questions are - should I shoot for a 2023 or a 2024?
Anything I should know from those of you who are owners of the AK550? I dont expect everything to be perfect but if the AK is shaping up to be like the old Xiting 500 then I`d like to know.

2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
A couple really nice shiny helmets

"I`m a man, but I can change. If I have to.
.....I guess....."

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: One step closer to a `23 AK550 from the factory
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 08:47:09 PM »
@An Orange Crush,
 to compare an AK 550 with your DT 300 or a XC 500/i takes a little bit of consideration.

The AK 550 is a complete different motorcycle, be it motor, transmission, suspension or seat comfort, not bad at all but as said different from ...

A DT 300 or a XC 500 were concepted as "scooters" in layback sense of this word.
One cylinder, CVT with rollers and belt in one casing, suspension conventionell.

Kymco produces modern and state of the art motorcycles, which all, treated properly are very reliable.
The only way to find out whether this model AK 550 suits you, is to do a test ride. MJ ..23 or ..24 ist just a question of taste and money.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 12:06:23 AM »
Agree with Ruffus that the AK is very different than a conventional scooter. Just having the motor mounted in the frame instead of on the swing arm makes it different. I've ridden both types but of course only the bigger super scooters have the motor frame mounted so there's that.
I come from standard touring big motorcycles. I consider the AK to be more motorcycle than scooter just for that.

As to the 2023 or 2024 model... I haven't seen that the 2024 models are available yet in the USA. There is the promise from Kymco that they will be but just not yet. So it depends on what is available. Currently the 2023 is definitely available if your dealer has it or can get it. I haven't heard of any changes since my 2022 model. At least none that would be significant to notice.
I consider my 2022 AK 550 to be the best bike I've owned in my riding career. And that includes my old 1990 Gold Wing. I find it as comfortable for long trips as the most comfortable bike I've sat on for a long day of riding. More comfortable than most of them.

Of course no bike is perfect, but the AK is as close as any that is currently available. Comfort is naturally an individual matter so definitely try for a test ride. I didn't make up my mind until I had a test sit on one for over a half hour and later a test ride, 2 or 3 actually.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 07:54:41 PM »
Well that does it, I just put my money down and ordered me a 2023 matte Silver to be delivered from the factory upon my dealers filing the paperwork so I`ll be a`Scootin in about 11 days on the new AK550.
So now at this point I`m wanting to ask- what was the price point for any of yall` who got  2023?
Not that I`m penny pinching, just wondering how many steak dinners I bought for my dealer lol....
2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)

.....I guess....."

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 07:56:53 PM »
congrats on the new scooter!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 01:19:59 AM »
Well that does it, I just put my money down and ordered me a 2023 matte Silver to be delivered from the factory upon my dealers filing the paperwork so I`ll be a`Scootin in about 11 days on the new AK550.
So now at this point I`m wanting to ask- what was the price point for any of yall` who got  2023?
Not that I`m penny pinching, just wondering how many steak dinners I bought for my dealer lol....
Good for you.
Pictures when you get it please.
11 days from the "factory"?, in Taiwan? (are you in Asia?)
Or the Kymco warehouse jn the USA?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 02:03:57 AM »
Agree with Ruffus that the AK is very different than a conventional scooter. [snip]

another in agreement, I compare my AK to a SV650 I once had, the fun factor in the twisties is similar if not better, add the Brembo brakes and better suspension, cargo in the whale belly, touring comfort. The Kymco AK550 is a reliable hidden treasure.
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 08:25:53 PM »
Good for you.
Pictures when you get it please.
11 days from the "factory"?, in Taiwan? (are you in Asia?)
Or the Kymco warehouse jn the USA?
Stig

Sorry I got that wrong, my guy didnt say from the factory, that was me misinterpreting what he told me.
He said between 11 to 14 days, obviously from the warehouse here, then the dealership will need to prep it, then they`ll deliver it to me.

2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)

.....I guess....."

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()