Author Topic: Somebody PLEASE Help Me Release this Bike from Her Demons  (Read 317 times)

Unbreakable Cracker

• View Profile
Somebody PLEASE Help Me Release this Bike from Her Demons
« on: March 04, 2024, 09:16:28 PM »
             2010 Kymco xcitingR 500i...
  - Warm start...
Fires right off, idles fine, runs smooth, no issues. After a minute, or two, it cuts out, and dies. Starts right back up without issue, but will now only idle 10-20 seconds, and then dies. Starts right back up, with no issue. I can do this all day long, but won't idle continuously.
  - At normal operating temperature, bike runs smooth, everything is great, unless I slow down enough to turn onto a side road, or stop for any reason, then it cuts out and dies. Will start right back up with no issue, and run just fine.
 -  Somewhere around 15-20 minutes of riding at normal operating temp... normal riding, just cruising along at, or maybe + 5mph over speed limit... I live in South Carolina, so it's mostly flat with no big hills, no heavy acceleration...but the bike starts acting as though it's had a few drinks. Usually starts with a hiccup, slurring it's words just a little. Then there's a slightly noticable loss in power especially noticeable at WOT. Temp. is normal, (according to gauge) and the CEL is functional, but not illuminated. From here, about every 30 seconds, it's like the bike has had a few more drinks, until it (the bike) has become completely sloshed, stumbling around like a drunken idiot, the walking (rolling) dead, and just barely functional. At this point it's on life support, and I'm just able to keep it "alive" through continuos cycling of the throttle from 50% - WOT in an effort to get to a spot where I can get off the road. At this point, I can cycle the key to the off position then back on, and the bike will start right back up and function mostly as normal, but feels as though it's being held back a bit, and after 3-5 minutes, it's back on life support again. Same as before...shut it off, then back on. Starts right up and functions (mostly) normal. I can do this maybe 3 more times. Starting is slightly more hesitant, but still ok, however art this point it will not idle at 0% throttle for any length of time, and there is definite lack of power. Shut the bike off, have a smoke, scroll through Google, while hoping to stumble across the miracle solution... After around 15 minutes, bike starts fine, runs ok, but is back to just feeling like it's being held back. Town is about 7 miles from home, so now that I'm running again, I'm headed home. I usually have no seriois issues until about halfway down the 3/4 mile home stretch, and from there I'm just barely making it to the neighbor's house across the road. Shut the bike off, and shoot the sh*t for minimum of 15 minutes, then I can get back on , starts as normal, and runs well enough to get me up the 1/4 mile long uphill driveway. If I let the bike sit for 1-2 hours, it's like the first start on a warm morning again.
  - Here's what I have tried, to this point: saying kind things, sweet talk, using a calm tone, without using any 4 letter words when talking to the bike. I have checked oil and water levels, cleaned and checked the function of the thermostat, checked all electrical connections, reset the ECU, reset the TPS and MAF, (as per Kymco online service manual) adjusted valves, neg terminal disconnect and then reconnect after 1-2 hours, checked and cleaned spark plug, cleaned the air filter, ran without air filter, checked the throttle body, checked the injector, checked the fuel pump, ran 2 tanks of fuel with Seafoam, it feels as though there's more I'm leaving out, that I can't think of, but at this point, I have had 0% success rate.
  - Other things I have tried that offered the same 0% success results: 
Scratching my head, talking dirty, (in a nice and playful manner... I'm no monster!) throwing things (at the ground, I'm not a violent person, either) yelling, making threats, and talking meanly to the bike while using many 4 letter words, (as a monster would do, because...it was worth a shot, and also it made me angry) I also kicked and threw things at the bike (in a violent, raging, madman-like fashion, because...why not...nothing else has worked, and also, it made me angry again). I'm better now, and I have said my apologies, but we are still at 0% success, and I'm tempted, but also trying to avoid spending $300 on a diagnostic tool. Any input or assistance is greatly appreciated, whether in the form of fixing the bike issue, or even if it's just some anger management tips.
            TIA - the lightly cracked (maybe), slightly damaged (probably), but (certainly) still not broken... UnbreakableCracker
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 10:09:07 PM by Unbreakable Cracker »

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Somebody PLEASE Help Me Release this Bike from Her Demons
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 05:16:29 AM »
can't....read.....massive.....paragraph....must....have...breaks....
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 05:41:37 PM »
That's a very tough read!
Please edit it down to the problem, and what you've tried so far.

Thanks
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:52:43 PM »
Sounds like Total posession....going to need a full blown exorcism
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 11:08:02 PM »
Since you tried all basics, I would
-look for a second hand ECU
-a second hand ignition coil
-fuel sensor
-CO sensor
-inclination (tilt) sensor
and test it out one  by one.
Start with the less expensive:
-coil, cable new, plug cap new, sparkplug new
btw: what color has the plug? white/ oily/ burnt?

The whole story sounds to me being a fuel/ignition or ECU related issue.

Even if you would have a DiagTool at hand, since the scoot doesn't show DTCs, it would not help.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 06:20:05 AM »
Oh! Oh! Try this: when it starts crapola run, open gas cap. This is full EFI, right? It should recover to normal, smooth and willing power instantly once cap is open.

Try soon; report here sooner!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 07:40:53 AM »
Oh! Oh! Try this: when it starts crapola run, open gas cap. This is full EFI, right? It should recover to normal, smooth and willing power instantly once cap is open.

Try soon; report here sooner!

Yup, that worked with my old X-Town 300 Karl. 👍
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 08:29:07 AM »
The symptoms you're describing sound like something I'd expect on a carb - but you've got fuel injection.

I'd suggest you might be getting fuel starvation. Has it been laid up for a while?

Clean the fuel filter if it has one for starters. Is the fuel old?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 05:19:03 AM »
Mine was about the same, but ran a little longer than yours does. It ended up being the fuel pump. It requires a minimum 45 lbs of pressure to run, and after a bit of running and warmed up it would only get to 43, which just didn't quite cut it. A new fuel pump, which Kymco made me wait weeks for, cured the problem.  I used Sun & Fun Motorsports in Iowa City, Iowa.  If you can find one, make sure it's OEM because I tried an after market pump from Europe 1st, and it capped out at 43 as well. Get the pressure checked when fully warmed up, and make sure your readings re accurate.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 12:11:57 PM »
wymples or CROSSBOLTs ideas might be a lead.
Years ago I had a HONDA with similar issues

Remedy:
-check out FACET fuelpumps
-put this electric piston pump in your fuel line (between OEM pump and injector) connecting/taking DC from your present pump cables and have a try.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()