Author Topic: GV250 charging light  (Read 222 times)

stuo

• View Profile
GV250 charging light
« on: February 18, 2024, 10:04:56 PM »
Here's a puzzler: While riding on a smooth road yesterday at a constant 25mph the red charging light came on, then went off after a few seconds and did not come on again.  After I got home and parked I restarted the bike and the light did its normal on and off after a couple of seconds of running. The motor was running perfectly when this occurred.

This has never happened before and I'm completely befuddled as to possible causes.

The bike is a 2009 with 12K miles on it and has given flawless service other than needing a starter relay at 9K miles. I just checked the battery after sitting for 24 hours: 12.76 volts. I then started it and the light went off seconds later as it normally does.

I welcome all ideas on what could have caused this (so far) one time event, and suggestions on what to check or replace. I'd rather replace all suspected parts now, or at least order them now to have them ready, and not have my only scooter disabled while I wait for the correct part to get here. There's always room in my spares box for more GV250 parts.
2009 GV 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: GV250 charging light
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 10:39:01 PM »
a loose connection, somewhere?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 10:25:38 PM »
Thanks, Iahawk,

I ordered a rectifier/regulator and will check all the connections I can find in that circuit when I install the new part.

My shop manual is missing the circuit to the warning light on the dash. I'm curious how it works, considering it lights when the battery is NOT being charged, just the opposite of what a bulb needs to light: electricity.
2009 GV 250

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 01:04:57 PM »
@stuo, as hawk suggested:
- take your METIN box out and check up on this two connectors which are on your regulator/ rectifier.
- look for burn signs/ corrosion there
- check voltage on both sides
- --- at three times yellow
- --- at red/ black or red / green to battery
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 11:53:06 PM »
Thanks Mr. R, for the advice.

When the rain stops and my back stops hurting I will follow your instructions and report back the results. The charging light did not improperly come on in the two times I used the bike since it happened so I am thinking your and Iahawk's advice is on the money and it's fairly easy to pull the plugs and check the connections.

BTW: I got an email from a fellow rider saying there is an ad on facebook listing two identical Downtowns for $1100 total. I'm not on facebook so I don't know if this info is useful or where they are located but I thought I'd pass on what seems a bargain....
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()