Author Topic: Touring capabilities  (Read 474 times)

Madnomad

• View Profile
Touring capabilities
« on: February 07, 2024, 08:17:50 AM »
So im just getting my a2 license and this'll likely be my first motorbike, i was wondering how well it handles occasional long trips and sustained highway speeds (1200km over two days). Can it do 600km a day? Whats the highest cruising speed it can keep without harm? I know a 300 is a liiiitle underpowered for such a trip but its only a once or twice per year thing.

For the record, im not completely green, im 23 with many years of cycling experience and worked 2+ years as a cyclist courier

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Touring capabilities
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 11:47:20 AM »
So im just getting my a2 license and this'll likely be my first motorbike, i was wondering how well it handles occasional long trips and sustained highway speeds (1200km over two days). Can it do 600km a day? Whats the highest cruising speed it can keep without harm? I know a 300 is a liiiitle underpowered for such a trip but its only a once or twice per year thing.

A Downtown 300i is an easy touring bike. Travels with virtually any traffic at any speed. The biggest limiting considerations are seating comfort and the CVT heating. It has plenty of power, is always "in the right gear" and has a 200 mile range with reserve. I have been on several long trips with full load and my wife's People GTi300 pulled a loaded trailer (same engine/transmission and wheel OD).

First limit explained: seating comfort is a bit cramped because it probably was designed with Far East rider sizes. The solution is to stop more often and walk about. No problem for old guys like me since I can't pass a restroom without stopping to use!

Second limit is the CVT belt: it gets hot, hotter it gets the faster you go. I have yet to suffer a belt failure, probably because I stop a lot! 50, 60 mph on the freeway is no problem. I am guessing all 200 miles on the freeway at 80 miles per hour would most likely puke the belt.

Have fun touring. Keep the belt in good condition and you should have no problem.

For the record, im not completely green, im 23 with many years of cycling experience and worked 2+ years as a cyclist courier
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 02:45:21 PM »
Hi Madnomad and welcome to the Forum.

Ditto what Karl said.

"A2 License"?  From that I'll guess you're UK based?  (Karl is in the US)  If so, you may want to consider keeping motorway miles to a minimum.  It'll do them comfortably at 70 mph, but it's far more fun on the A & B roads!  I plotted a route from north staffs to Yorkshire last year through the Pennines and into the Dales covering 170 miles in a short day and had a blast on a Kymco 300cc scooter*.  Seat will likely force a comfort break at the half way point, but that's no bad thing?
* see about two thirds down this thread  https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32684.msg229622#msg229622
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 02:53:21 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Madnomad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 04:02:07 PM »
Hi Madnomad and welcome to the Forum.

Ditto what Karl said.

"A2 License"?  From that I'll guess you're UK based?  (Karl is in the US)  If so, you may want to consider keeping motorway miles to a minimum.  It'll do them comfortably at 70 mph, but it's far more fun on the A & B roads!  I plotted a route from north staffs to Yorkshire last year through the Pennines and into the Dales covering 170 miles in a short day and had a blast on a Kymco 300cc scooter*.  Seat will likely force a comfort break at the half way point, but that's no bad thing?
* see about two thirds down this thread  https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32684.msg229622#msg229622

A2 isnt uk exclusive, afaik its a thing in all of the eu, im hungarian.

Tbh this is more of a business trip than a fun tour so i dont really plan on messing around too much, besides maybe exploring around frankfurt or nuremberg a bit, wherever i spend the night. Going from northwestern hungary to the netherlands.

Yeah i heard this bike is pretty uncomfy, seems to be the only bigger downside.  Ill have to stop at a gas station every 250km or so anyway so it shouldnt be that bad

Thanks for the replies btw!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 10:28:59 AM »
Well double welcome, AFAIK, you're the first Hungarian on the forum!

Sounds an interesting trip you have planned, good luck with it.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:08:39 PM »
Trip pictures! Got to take pictures while on your trip or the trip did not happen.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 08:10:05 AM »
😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ericson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:48:21 AM »

There is no need to worry about scooter handling the trip. I'd worry about rider being able to handle the trip. Every scooter can ride day and night if there is oil in sump and gas in the tank. I have done a lot of long range scooter touring  starting from 50cc doing 400km per day and it's was always me that was limiting factor, not the machine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()