Author Topic: got some throttle therapy, today  (Read 429 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
got some throttle therapy, today
« on: January 31, 2024, 07:32:10 PM »
after a month of cold, dark, gray, snowy weather we finally have sunshine, blue skies and temps in the 40's F (4-9 C) .

I was able to get in my first ride of the year and first since Dec 20th. Since today is Jan 31, I will still be able to reach my goal of riding in every month of the year! I know everyone on this board understands the mental health benefits of twisting the throttle....and man, it felt good!

Ripping through the gears on my little Ninja, cold hands and feet be damned! 19.5 miles today...I can't wait for the warmer weather to come.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: got some throttle therapy, today
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 02:40:37 PM »
OMG Hawk, at first glance I read that headline as "Bottle" therapy!  Wishful thinking?...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 04:50:18 PM »
after a month of cold, dark, gray, snowy weather we finally have sunshine, blue skies and temps in the 40's F (4-9 C) .

I was able to get in my first ride of the year and first since Dec 20th. Since today is Jan 31, I will still be able to reach my goal of riding in every month of the year! I know everyone on this board understands the mental health benefits of twisting the throttle....and man, it felt good!

Ripping through the gears on my little Ninja, cold hands and feet be damned! 19.5 miles today...I can't wait for the warmer weather to come.

Good for you Hawk!
I don't think you're old enough to go thru what I do, some mornings, Hawk - esp. after I've not ridden for a while.
This time of year the world is not as inviting to a bloke on a scooter...so, I wonder.
"Can I still do this out there, in the dark and cold?! Through the headlights, mixing it up with the steel monsters and their idiot pilots?"
"Deer!", you say?
Deer are the least of my concerns out there! (at least until that day I have my reckoning with them. Things will likely be different afterwards! :)

Anyway - went through that feeling a little this morning as I was layering up for a ride 2.5 hrs before sun-up.
30's out there- "feels like the 20's", temps dropping and headwinds coming home.

Of course, once underway...it IS easier than conjugating verbs in French!

Stig

PS: I will say this....Vespa riders boast how "maneuverable and agile" are their scooters on those 10 & 12" wheels....like they spend a lot of time slaloming through the crowded isles at Walmart.
"Squirrely" comes to my mind - esp. when compared to the stability of my 16" Liberty!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 08:55:26 AM »

Stig

PS: I will say this....Vespa riders boast how "maneuverable and agile" are their scooters on those 10 & 12" wheels....like they spend a lot of time slaloming through the crowded isles at Walmart.
"Squirrely" comes to my mind - esp. when compared to the stability of my 16" Liberty!

Yeah, on warm Mediterranean tarmac maybe!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 05:42:15 PM »
THe warm spell softened the snowbanks a bit, I took advantage and did some driveway clean up. Now maybe the trash truck can get to my dumpster. Put some salt down

Maybe a return of the annual StoopidBowl Sunday Kanc Ride is in order

RandyO
IBA#9560

Super Dirt Dud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »
It got to the mid 40s today so I got a good 50 miles of therapy it was really needed now tomorrow is a trials riding therapy day . Life is great !
I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY will look splendid chiseled on your tombstone !

Be Careful out there
 2016 BV350
 2006 Scarabeo 500
 2022 Vertigo 200 Trials 2022 Mecotechno
 2022 Beta 300 Race Trials
 2013 Honda Metro
 2015 GasGas 300 Enduro
 2022 AK550 2022 ADV150
  2006 Vespa 150
  2007 Honda Helix

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:07 AM »
I set up a ride for Saturday and I guess a lot of people were ready for some throttle therapy because we had 15 riders show up.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 11:40:59 AM »
I set up a ride for Saturday and I guess a lot of people were ready for some throttle therapy because we had 15 riders show up.

That little Honda Trail keep up with you guys?
Thanks for the photo Klav - pics always appreciated for those of us who can't read!

Stig
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 11:42:44 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 07:41:19 PM »
THe warm spell softened the snowbanks a bit, I took advantage and did some driveway clean up. Now maybe the trash truck can get to my dumpster. Put some salt down

Maybe a return of the annual StoopidBowl Sunday Kanc Ride is in order

Randy, great pic....love the great white north.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 03:52:31 AM »
That little Honda Trail keep up with you guys?
Thanks for the photo Klav - pics always appreciated for those of us who can't read!

Stig

That guy on the trail 125 rode around 100 miles just to get to the start of the ride.  On these rides the fast guys ride up front, slower guys in the back and we regroup at turns.  We were all surprised at how well he did.  No he couldn't hang with the faster riders but he wasn't bringing up the rear either.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 02:16:27 AM »
My Honda Super Cub is not that slow. not fast, but not dead to a pack of riders either. the trail 125 is basically the same as far as motors go. Once you have one, the interest builds!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 02:21:05 AM »
More throttle therapy today.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()