Author Topic: HONDA sales  (Read 710 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
HONDA sales
« on: December 12, 2023, 11:41:51 AM »
It is their "reputation for quality, reliability, and efficiency that makes Honda the most successful motorcycle brand in existence, and it accounts for around one-third of global bike sales*. "

*I didn't know this.

If I remember correctly, Honda also makes the best selling scooter in Italy - which I found surprising!

My impression of Honda bikes is that - while their bikes are not the fastest, nor have they tried to wring every last bit of HP out of a box of CC's, they have, in stead, produced a well-built and reliable source of transportation.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: HONDA sales
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 03:35:19 PM »
Most of their sales are smaller all terrain bikes and scooters in 3rd world countries. But that's true of all of the big 3 in Japan though Honda makes more than those other companies.

I would possibly own a Honda Super Scooter if they made one in that class. Most of my bikes have been Honda. When I read that Kymco used to be a part of Honda my estimation of Kymco went way up just for that. I know that was a long time ago but it still tracks based on my experience with both brands so far.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 04:13:39 PM »
As someone who owns 2 ‘vintage’ Hondas..28 and 40 yrs old..I will certainly agree they are well built machines.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 08:58:39 PM »
Stig,

I had a Honda SH-150 in Rome and the bike was bulletproof. Even the Italian scooter mechs told me that Honda along with Kymco, were the only 2 bikes he recommended. I only wish they would bring more of their models here. I would love to drive a NC750D integra.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 09:41:32 AM »
Where I live, Honda has an edge over all other dealers by also selling cars, tractors, generators, snow-mobiles, outboard motors, and on and on.  As a result, they have very durable dealerships even though their scooters aren't that exciting.

My original Kymco dealer only had scooters, and simply couldn't survive with such a tiny product line. 

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »
Not exciting JJ? Not even the ADV models?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 10:51:16 PM »

My original Kymco dealer only had scooters, and simply couldn't survive with such a tiny product line.
I wonder,  do you mean that your Kymco dealer sold only Kymcos, and nothing else?
I'd be surprised to learn that anyone had attempted a stand-alone KYMCO dealer in any English speaking country!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 11:42:03 PM »
I wonder,  do you mean that your Kymco dealer sold only Kymcos, and nothing else?
I was always surprised he could survive with just those few scooter sales.   I was right - he didn't, and closed up about 5 years ago.  The Kymco sign is still on the building, but it's now a Benz repair shop. There are no Kymco dealers, no parts, no service in Canada now.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 05:38:53 AM »
I started with Yamaha 2 strokes, a 305, an R5350, and RD350, some enduros. I was a big XS650 twin guy for years. I still think those were the best in class that you could get. Later I had a Honda Twinstar, an early Goldwing,  even a 750 Automatic.  They were OK. I moved on to Suzuki,  2 KZ's,  a pair of Viragos, then got a Moto Guzzi bug that never left. People are always amazed that I still think a properly maintained Virago was as good & pleasurable for 300 miles as anything I ever owned.  My big Suzuki 4's were absolute monsters & unbreakable.  With the Asian bikes, wiring was an issue I dealt with a lot. Yamaha had the best I encountered, Suzuki & Kawasaki the worst. Seems in everything Honda was always in the middle, but always there.  When I got my 1st Guzzi it was all over.  Only old age got me off those (I still have 1) & onto a scooter.  If I were to buy another scooter it would be a Honda unless a miracle deal came along like my Kymco did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:40:29 AM by wymple »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 05:23:42 PM »
I'd be surprised to learn that anyone had attempted a stand-alone KYMCO dealer in any English speaking country!
Stig

I know of a Kymco dealer in Maine that sells nothing but Kymcos not a single scooter on the lot/showroom, all ATVs & SxSs
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 05:41:27 PM »
I know of a Kymco dealer in Maine that sells nothing but Kymcos not a single scooter on the lot/showroom, all ATVs & SxSs
After living in Mass twice..and enjoying New England in my VW bus and on my Honda motorcycle, I continued to subscribe to  Yankee Magazine for years.
So, I say this with affection  - you New Englander's are a "different" bunch🙃
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »
After living in Mass twice..and enjoying New England in my VW bus and on my Honda motorcycle, I continued to subscribe to  Yankee Magazine for years.
So, I say this with affection  - you New Englander's are a "different" bunch🙃
Stig

northern New England, VT/NH/ME is not in the same country as southern NE, MA/RI/CT
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 12:29:08 AM »
northern New England, VT/NH/ME is not in the same country as southern NE, MA/RI/CT
I was being kind.
Folks up there are from a different planet 🙂

Stih
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 03:47:20 AM »
I was being kind.
Folks up there are from a different planet 🙂

Stih

And you thought UFOs landed in New Mexico!

I lived in ME for 3+ years while in the Navy. I was stationed at Brunswick but lived in Lisbon Falls. We still have contact with friends we met while there. Took a while to earn their trust but once past that we were in for life.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 04:40:59 AM »
And you thought UFOs landed in New Mexico!

I lived in ME for 3+ years while in the Navy. I was stationed at Brunswick but lived in Lisbon Falls. We still have contact with friends we met while there. Took a while to earn their trust but once past that we were in for life.

did Lisbon Falls have bad flooding in the storm 2 weeks ago if your friends still live there, My grandson lives upriver in Mexico, record flooding, flood waters were about 100ft away from my grandson's home, he slept in his car in Rumford, next morning walked 12 miles of atv trails to get home, 3 days before roads were passable and could get his car.  4 people swept away in car, 2 got out to safety, the other 2 perished 
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()