Author Topic: 500 mxu rebuild *** just picked up atv *** full rebuild ** transmission question  (Read 276 times)

m.dizz

• View Profile
Hey guys, going through an mxu 500 2010 entire engine overhaul. It looks like the engine ate a headgasket and is going to require some machining. I am going to bring it into the machinist this next week after I get some gasket sets and some new rings for the cylinder but there is one thing left going on with the gear box.

I've only had it running a few minutes because i am working on the rebuild and it was jetting coolant out of the spark plug hole, but i've noticed it lunges a bit going into gear. P,R,N,H,L

It shifts into high and low just fine, but it seems to grab pretty hard and kind of grabs and lunges forward.
It hits reverse and i got it to catch once and shift in, but every other time it sits on top of the reverse gear and grinds and doesnt catch into gear.
also, it wont start in park, it wont engage the starter, it will turn over in neutral though.

Any idea what would cause a hard shift into high,low, and why it wont go into reverse.

I realize i didnt have a good idle because the idle was a bit finickey because the block had a hole thru it into the coolant and it has been run warm.... but i wonder what is preventing the reverse gear from engaging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bratman2

• View Profile
Idle too high would be my first guess.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()