Author Topic: belt size DOES MATTER!  (Read 742 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
belt size DOES MATTER!
« on: October 08, 2023, 09:05:12 PM »
Went to replace my belt today after yesterday's ride resulted in some late ride shuddering, and what I thought was a possible clutch problem due to the bike not wanting to behave at stop lights, it just wanted to keep going. I just checked that belt last weekend and it looked fine, but not now. Glad it didnt break on me and I got home, running a few red lights and stop signs..... :-X

Clutch looks good, no loose material or parts, shoes look ok, but the belt is missing about 7-10 teeth.

Thought I had 2 belts in reserve but when I went to install it there was a problem with the belt seating into the pulleys and had the hardest time getting variator plate back on. Then I remembered that these two belts came from a chinese supplier and like most stuff from there, not quite up to specs.

I believe the DT 300i requires a 24mm width but the ones from Hornet were 25mm.....makes all the difference, and when I went to ebay today to find a replacement, many are selling those replacement belts with the same 25mm widths....and claim its the right one! Have tried locating and sizing a Dayton and Gates brand but no cigar. Kymco OEM are almost double the price of generic but worth it if you cannot use the generic.

BEWARE! 25mm will not work! Wish we had a better supplier here in the states but we don't, Kymco USA is terrible about replacement parts. Fortunately I've become good friends with a supplier in Taiwan and though shipping takes a bit longer, I give him my part number, he gets me my part!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: belt size DOES MATTER!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 09:50:25 PM »
Went to replace my belt today after yesterday's ride resulted in some late ride shuddering, and what I thought was a possible clutch problem due to the bike not wanting to behave at stop lights, it just wanted to keep going. I just checked that belt last weekend and it looked fine, but not now. Glad it didnt break on me and I got home, running a few red lights and stop signs..... :-X

Clutch looks good, no loose material or parts, shoes look ok, but the belt is missing about 7-10 teeth.

Thought I had 2 belts in reserve but when I went to install it there was a problem with the belt seating into the pulleys and had the hardest time getting variator plate back on. Then I remembered that these two belts came from a chinese supplier and like most stuff from there, not quite up to specs.

I believe the DT 300i requires a 24mm width but the ones from Hornet were 25mm.....makes all the difference, and when I went to ebay today to find a replacement, many are selling those replacement belts with the same 25mm widths....and claim its the right one! Have tried locating and sizing a Dayton and Gates brand but no cigar. Kymco OEM are almost double the price of generic but worth it if you cannot use the generic.

BEWARE! 25mm will not work! Wish we had a better supplier here in the states but we don't, Kymco USA is terrible about replacement parts. Fortunately I've become good friends with a supplier in Taiwan and though shipping takes a bit longer, I give him my part number, he gets me my part!
You wanna talk parts deals?

Fortunately I've become good friends with a supplier in Taiwan and though shipping takes a bit longer, I give him my part number, he gets me my part!

What's his number? What's YOUR number? Running through you we all could save some shipping bucks!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 10:29:02 PM »
He requires you to go thru his ebay site. His ebay handle is Androidextend. I am not crazy about it but being that far away it's the only way to guarantee both parties are safe. I have used him 3 times, one part was on his site and the others he procured for me and sold them to me thru ebay.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 01:30:32 AM »
He requires you to go thru his ebay site. His ebay handle is Androidextend. I am not crazy about it but being that far away it's the only way to guarantee both parties are safe. I have used him 3 times, one part was on his site and the others he procured for me and sold them to me thru ebay.

He is a good seller. Plenty of genuine parts and fast postage via FedEx.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 11:39:20 PM »

Curious to know what was the part number? I got a message saying that the part number has changed. Hope he didn't send me a 25mm belt.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
The part number I have from a genuine Kymco belt is 23100-LEA7-E00, but an E01 is the new part number that also covers the J-300 and DT300i. I am not saying the 25mm wont work, but I wouldn't trust it as far as wear and tear on your mechanical parts. I put one on and the bike acted "funny" and so I waited until original Kymco belt arrived and the difference was most notable. All the so called replacement belts I have seen online that are not Kymco (Dayton, Gates, Bando, etc, etc) are 25mm and claim to be a direct replacement but since they are 1mm wider, I do not understand why they can't get it right.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 07:25:52 PM »
MITSUBOSHI and BANDO belts are genuine KYMCO belts, for Kymco does not produce belts by themselves.
There are fakes of this brands around on platforms.

Originals do not sell under €140,- per piece from a trusted source like a brand dealer. All offers which claim anything else and sell  under € 100,- simply forget.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 07:30:12 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 08:27:59 PM »
You are right about those two brands but even they are 25mm, and not 24mm. And of course the generics run almost half of what a genuine Kymco packaged belt will run. The one I got from a supplier in Taiwan was $135, shipping included and I got it 2 weeks faster than had I ordered it right here in Fort Worth, Texas from the dealer where I originally purchased my 2012 DT300i. If anyone has used a generic, Dayton, Gates or other brand 25mm please expand on your experience.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 08:54:17 PM »
I installed a cheapo Chinese belt on my Grandvista 250 and it was OK for just over 1000 miles...then it disintegrated at 50 mph. Lesson learned.

I've been able to find GV250 Kymco belts for under $100 on ebay.
2009 GV 250

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 04:12:46 PM »
Yes Stuo,

I believe many of us here have experienced going the "cheaper" route was not a great idea. I did early on and since will not use anything other than Kymco parts, regardless of price difference with an aftermarket. That is not to say other after market products for the DT 300i are bad or less superior but I am not going to chance it again.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 06:00:40 PM »
@moparkid, well said.
Here in Italy are belts of dubiose sources underway. Only buying at a serious local dealer, who again buys from OE wholesale gives you a certain (not 100%) guarantee to get the good stuff.

I changed within last five years for sure 30-40 belts and CVT components and did not have a single faulty belt bought from MY dealer. To him I would go in case with broken pieces, bill and ask questions and restitution.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:38:00 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 05:41:09 PM »
One-and-done belt replacement on a Kymco product is assured only if you use an oem Kymco belt.
I do not buy belts by the brand - I don't care who they are and how much they claim their eBay belt "will fit my Kymco because it is a Bando, or MITSUBOSHI", or whatever.
They make all sizes of belts.
A belt in a Kymco bag or box with the correct part # on it is the proper one for my scooter.
My top speed won't change, my RPMs will be stock, etc.
No surprises when I use a Kymco belt.

There are a lot of road situations where I'd not like to be relying on a knock-off belt; or of having gone through the aggro of a belt change only to find my performance has deviated from stock due to fitting a good quality but wrong sized belt!

Some stretch the recommended belt replacement intervals - to save $, or the agro of fitting....or to prove a point.
We've read it all.....

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()