Author Topic: New to me 2013 Like200i having issues PLZ HELP  (Read 465 times)

SouthernCCs

• View Profile
New to me 2013 Like200i having issues PLZ HELP
« on: September 08, 2023, 06:46:42 AM »
About a month ago i purchased a 2013 Like it was kind of rough and for some reason the ignition was drilled out but came with a title in the sellers name registered to the address i picked it up from. So aside from the shoddy toggle switch wiring which i have already fixed for the most part. ** I have owned a TaoTao 50, a PCX 150 previously and am pretty mechanically inclined**

Has just under 7k on odo

Saw a little oil on the airfilter foam overlay, stronger than i think is normal smell of gas in oil today during change, some trash in the CVT or more than i heard on the other 2 ever. It was rough but it ran well for 500 ish miles since purchase and all the sudden these things all started happening over last few days.

Was also browsing earlier about some roughness at take off from lights and such and the Cortez trick as i have seen it referred to worked but i believe the clutch wasnt all the way healthy when i did it bc of how quickly it smoked.

Any advice would be great i use it daily to commute to work and am afraid there was some damage already done before i bought it. Just want to know what i should check, and what to look for, to ensure the longevity of this little machine.

Thanks John

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: New to me 2013 Like200i having issues PLZ HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 08:10:02 PM »
Welcome here!
With ignition drilled out you mean, ignition lock gone? If yes, does not matter as long you are able to move kind of switch to make it run.

Fuel in oil, smell is individuelly different, at that motors normal.
Airfilter oily, maybe too much gearoil?

Would check belt and rollers and if suspect change.

For this clutch:
There are different opinions how to "clean" this little clutches.
One say, left hand brake and throttle up.for few seconds. This approach bears the danger of heating up the clutchbell and mold it oval, which means a new bell.
Other take the bell off, if not blue and oval yet, sand it inside nicely, sand clutchpads a little and put it together. Have your pick.

New sparkplug, check brakepads , change brakefluid, tap valves, check/ change tyres.

Empty pukehose.

Basically this aircooled are pretty reliable, if not abused or neclected.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »
Yes, welcome to the forum!
Issues found, but your scooter is still running well, yes or no?

Throttle with brake on to clean the clutch pads usually does not solve clutch judder/chatter for very long on my LIKE200i.
Best practice is to lightly sand the glaze from the clutch pads, and green scrubby inside bell. To prevent repeat of this trouble I am 'brisk' with the throttle on pull-away. Not harsh - but don't baby the throttle.

"trash in the CVT or more than I heard on the other 2"?? ..do you mean that you found more black belt debris than you are used to after you removed the belt cover?
 Some is certainly normal. Clean it out before installing the new Kymco belt.

Replace the engine & gear oil - careful not to overfill. See the owner's manual for proper quantity.
Dry or replace the air filter.
Check the valves - and level & color of brake fluid in their reservoirs. Brake pads last a long time on my LIKE. Check thickness with flashlight or camera.
Add a set of new Kymco roller weights and a new NGK or Denso spark plug....and you should be good for many miles - following  specs and the service schedule in your owner's manual.

And, yes, do empty the air filter box puke tube - it may be full and leading to wet airfilter.
Glad you were able to get it running - so, it was previously stolen?

Pix when you get a chance?
Stig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 09:16:40 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SouthernCCs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 05:06:26 AM »
Welcome here!
With ignition drilled out you mean, ignition lock gone? If yes, does not matter as long you are able to move kind of switch to make it run.

Fuel in oil, smell is individuelly different, at that motors normal.
Airfilter oily, maybe too much gearoil?

Would check belt and rollers and if suspect change.

For this clutch:
There are different opinions how to "clean" this little clutches.
One say, left hand brake and throttle up.for few seconds. This approach bears the danger of heating up the clutchbell and mold it oval, which means a new bell.
Other take the bell off, if not blue and oval yet, sand it inside nicely, sand clutchpads a little and put it together. Have your pick.

New sparkplug, check brakepads , change brakefluid, tap valves, check/ change tyres.

Empty pukehose.

Basically this aircooled are pretty reliable, if not abused or neclected.

Will be going tomorrow for new spark plug, the puke hose is uncapped so i assumed it was draining itself or is there a vacuum issue if uncapped?

Rode to work today with no real issues checked temp half way to ensure no overheating. I am aware of the reputation of Kymcos engine, i think more of my problems lie in the cvt. Have not opened it up yet. I will say the loss of top end speed and strange little exhaust burp backs are very frequent now.

I was pretty sure about that, the "trash in the cvt" i was refering to is an obvious grinding coming from my clutch which was probably not in great shape when bought from the 18 yr old i purchased it from.

Thank you i will check all areas in the AM.

SouthernCCs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 05:22:45 AM »
Yes, welcome to the forum!
Issues found, but your scooter is still running well, yes or no?

Throttle with brake on to clean the clutch pads usually does not solve clutch judder/chatter for very long on my LIKE200i.
Best practice is to lightly sand the glaze from the clutch pads, and green scrubby inside bell. To prevent repeat of this trouble I am 'brisk' with the throttle on pull-away. Not harsh - but don't baby the throttle.

"trash in the CVT or more than I heard on the other 2"?? ..do you mean that you found more black belt debris than you are used to after you removed the belt cover?
 Some is certainly normal. Clean it out before installing the new Kymco belt.

Replace the engine & gear oil - careful not to overfill. See the owner's manual for proper quantity.
Dry or replace the air filter.
Check the valves - and level & color of brake fluid in their reservoirs. Brake pads last a long time on my LIKE. Check thickness with flashlight or camera.
Add a set of new Kymco roller weights and a new NGK or Denso spark plug....and you should be good for many miles - following  specs and the service schedule in your owner's manual.

And, yes, do empty the air filter box puke tube - it may be full and leading to wet airfilter.
Glad you were able to get it running - so, it was previously stolen?

Pix when you get a chance?
Stig

Hello Stig,

I would be amiss to say i was not hoping for your input. Your Scoot is truly a beauty. So running well...It fires first push always, it does not die ever, the motor runs strong and without issue, although im sure it needs a valve adjustment. Kid i bought it from spoke proudly of "Power Wheelies" which i assume have basically trashed clutch anmd belt. I believe that maybe you are right and the rollers need replaced and a new belt. By "Trash in the CVT" i meant i know these little gy6 motors and plastic rollers maKE ALOT OF NOISE . But the grinding and i cant even describe the other noise are VERY PRONOUNCED.

Drove to work today about 5 miles, after oil change, screen clean, checking if the brakes were dragging and a slight idle adjustment was about 500 rpms high. Only real issue i seem to be having is noise and loss of acceleration and top end. Smooth acceleration and still getting decent mileage. Main symptoms are noise and reduction of acceleration pretty dramatically and about 15 mph loss of top end from 55 to now 40 is hard to reach.

Yes it was stolen and recovered a few days later, trunk, seat bucket and ignition drilled out.

I just want to give this beat up old girl a shot at the good life.

Thanks Stig

P.S. Puke tube uncapped will that cause vacuum issues?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 09:06:00 AM »
Hello Stig,

By "Trash in the CVT" i meant i know these little gy6 motors and plastic rollers maKE ALOT OF NOISE . But the grinding and i cant even describe the other noise are VERY PRONOUNCED.

Drove to work today about 5 miles, after oil change, screen clean, checking if the brakes were dragging and a slight idle adjustment was about 500 rpms high. Only real issue i seem to be having is noise and loss of acceleration and top end. Smooth acceleration and still getting decent mileage. Main symptoms are noise and reduction of acceleration pretty dramatically and about 15 mph loss of top end from 55 to now 40 is hard to reach.

I just want to give this beat up old girl a shot at the good life.

In which case I’d advise taking a look inside the CVT sooner rather than later!  The sort of noises you describe I had with my X-Town 300 which was a loose variator nut which came off and stripped the splines - you don’t want to be dealing with that believe me!

Hope you get sorted as what you have is basically a very reliable scooter.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 12:45:55 AM »
The engine idle speed on the fuel injection system of the Like 200i is pre-set at the factory, and is not adjustable. Perhaps the throttle linkage is tugging in that 500rpms? But if it runs and starts well - I see no worries there.
You might plug the puke tube with something handy (golf tee, pencil stub?).Never ran mine without it...no idea the effects.

Yep~! - with the noises you're describing from the CVT - you need to investigate in there. The clutch on this thing is pretty hardy - but the kid's practice of pulling wheelies is not too healthy for it. Take a look and watch if clutch does not seem to be acting properly - not fully disengaging at idle, etc. The clutch pads likely are glazed from the abuse.....and the whole cvt might be filthy from belt dust throughout. Light sanding of pads and brush out the black stuff.
Worst case is a new Kymco clutch for $115.00 from www.Leesonsarcticcat.com or your dealer. These will last for years.

* if this is the first time belt cover is off - it may be stuck fast and tough to remove. There are 'pry' points on the belt cover - at least one can be reached from the exhaust side, through the wheel spokes, with a wooden dowel & easy mallet taps.

Let us know what you find under the belt cover.

Best regards, Stig
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 01:09:01 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

SouthernCCs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 02:44:50 AM »
The engine idle speed on the fuel injection system of the Like 200i is pre-set at the factory, and is not adjustable. Perhaps the throttle linkage is tugging in that 500rpms? But if it runs and starts well - I see no worries there.
You might plug the puke tube with something handy (golf tee, pencil stub?).Never ran mine without it...no idea the effects.

Yep~! - with the noises you're describing from the CVT - you need to investigate in there. The clutch on this thing is pretty hardy - but the kid's practice of pulling wheelies is not too healthy for it. Take a look and watch if clutch does not seem to be acting properly - not fully disengaging at idle, etc. The clutch pads likely are glazed from the abuse.....and the whole cvt might be filthy from belt dust throughout. Light sanding of pads and brush out the black stuff.
Worst case is a new Kymco clutch for $115.00 from www.Leesonsarcticcat.com or your dealer. These will last for years.

* if this is the first time belt cover is off - it may be stuck fast and tough to remove. There are 'pry' points on the belt cover - at least one can be reached from the exhaust side, through the wheel spokes, with a wooden dowel & easy mallet taps.

Let us know what you find under the belt cover.

Best regards, Stig

So I am happy to say that I decided the best way to truly see if I was just paranoid or if it was a real issue was to go on a long ride. Me and the old girl successfully completed a 132 mile round trip this weekend with no issues at all. Avg speed of about 40mph but 19 miles either way WOT. She ran beautifully. The noise in the CVT will be getting a look but thank you guys seriously for restoring my faith in this awesome little machine.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »
Great glad it's sorted!
Late brother and I were out in his old VW and I mentioned a troublesome sounding noise from the rear end.
His response: "turn up the radio."

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()