Author Topic: Rear Brake Light  (Read 586 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Rear Brake Light
« on: August 22, 2023, 01:17:31 PM »
Hey All, I need to change the brake light. I'm looking at the wiring diagram. What is a 12v 5/18w bulb? Specifically what does 5/18w mean? Is that 5w/18w? Does anybody know what bulb is needed?

https://data2.manualslib.com/print_page/en-a57bb79598a73a33ada3fad75a0985e5.pdf

Vision

• View Profile
Re: Rear Brake Light
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »
BTW, here are the steps to change the bulb for others looking.

(1) Take out the seat bucket: 4 nuts, 2 bolts (all 10mm), 1 screw (at the front).

(2) Unbolt seat latch mechanism: 2 bolts (10 mm). Try push it to the side to keep it out of the way. Filler-cap is useful here.

(3) Remove rear grab-bar: remove rubber grommets, then undo 3 bolts (12 mm).

(4) Undo 2 retaining screws on central duck-tail panel located around the central anchor of the grab bar and directly above-center of the rear light assembly. A bit of manipulation should have the panel just snap out.

(In retrospect, I am not sure steps 3 & 4 are absolutely necessary. They give you a little more room to work and see, though, and are not a hassle)

(5) In the hollow beneath where the duck-tail panel had been, look for and peel back the rubber sock protecting the bulb-socket.

(6) Come in under the frame bar with long-nosed pliers, gently rotate the bulb-socket 90 deg. to extract it from its housing in the light assembly and reveal the bulb.

(7) To re-assemble, do the reverse of the above.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3077.0

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »
12V 5/18 W means 5 watts at position light and 18 watts when you hit the brake. Two glow filaments in one bulb.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 04:54:23 PM »
12V 5/18 W means 5 watts at position light and 18 watts when you hit the brake. Two glow filaments in one bulb.

Thank you Ruffus.

Anybody know where to buy these? Is it two pronged or one metal base like the headlight?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:56:39 PM by Vision »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 05:02:17 PM »
Welcome, NO does not have prongs like  an H4, has two contact spots.. code BAY 15D, pls see pic
any auto store has it..
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 05:19:18 PM »
Much appreciated. Just ordered it from this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/str/mopeddivision

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 07:52:02 PM »
I cannot believe how difficult Kymco made it to change a rear brake light.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 11:15:08 PM »
Contrary to the advice on youtube, what I posted earlier, and on this forum it doesn't seem like it's hard to change the brake light. You simply access the light by the two screws holding the red brake light plastic in. The bulb is changed from the rear, you don't change it by turning its housing and removing it like you do for the headlight. My loss is your gain.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 01:50:42 AM »
Contrary to the advice on youtube, what I posted earlier, and on this forum it doesn't seem like it's hard to change the brake light. You simply access the light by the two screws holding the red brake light plastic in. The bulb is changed from the rear, you don't change it by turning its housing and removing it like you do for the headlight. My loss is your gain.

Exactly ~!
Kymco knows these will need changing - and not often are they buried and hard to access!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()