Author Topic: Oil leak from rear axle/transmission  (Read 403 times)

Yoni159

• View Profile
Oil leak from rear axle/transmission
« on: August 15, 2023, 08:26:26 PM »
I saw a little leak from the rear axle i dont know if its coming for the hole or its coming from the transmission seal.
this is something serious? But the way what is that hole? This is after cleaning. Before its worse little worse

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Oil leak from rear axle/transmission
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 09:14:44 PM »
This hole is supposed to be an indicator
 (by showing a drop ore more) that your rear axle/transmisson oilseal is worn out.
Means wheel off and renew. Axlebearings in your swingarm are to be checked too and if neccessary, changed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 09:17:56 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Yoni159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 09:31:54 PM »
This hole is supposed to be an indicator
 (by showing a drop ore more) that your rear axle/transmisson oilseal is worn out.
Means wheel off and renew. Axlebearings in your swingarm are to be checked too and if neccessary, changed.
to replace the oil seal is must to open the transmission bolts from inside?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 11:00:15 PM »
AFAIK yes, unfortunately clutch and rear reduction bell have to be removed. Think bolts behind the clutch.
Means whole 9yards with muffler, wheel, etc.
Go get a workshop manual to see details.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
I saw a little leak from the rear axle i dont know if its coming for the hole or its coming from the transmission seal.
this is something serious? But the way what is that hole? This is after cleaning. Before its worse little worse

The leak looks like it is coming from the weep hole. This means that the axle seal is worn out.

Make sure the transmission/gear oil is not overfilled (190mL capacity at changes). The rubber vent tube to the back of the airbox should also be checked to be unclogged. Both these things can increase pressure in the transmission (when hot) and force oil out through the seals.

My 300i and 350i both had the same issue but I simply change the oil every 5,000km as in the manual so the oil level is maintained. No issues ever.

If you want to replace the seal you need to remove the rear clutch bell as the cover plate is behind it.

'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()