Author Topic: Lesson learned - keep the battery charged  (Read 387 times)

CBfromDE

• View Profile
Lesson learned - keep the battery charged
« on: August 04, 2023, 04:41:17 PM »
I've had my scooter almost 3 years. Not much riding recently due to changes in schedule and responsibilities. Recently, I've been on it about once a month, with longer pauses in the winter, and recently extreme heat.

My scooter has been a little bit of a hard start due to limited use - I thought it was likely some fouling in the carburetor from sitting so long and limited use, combined with me flooding the carb trying to get it started. I pulled it out of the garage a few days ago and couldn't get it started. I ran the battery down in the process. Then tried to kick start it, and couldn't get that to work. So back in the garage and attached a battery charger. I was very happy to find an SAE battery connector installed, complete with a dust cap. I bought the bike new, and didn't expect to find one from the factory or dealer, but happy it was there.

Pulled it out yesterday, and started right up, no problem. The "hard start" I experienced before was just due to a low charge on the battery.

Lessons learned:
1. Hard starts are more likely due to a weak battery. Keep it charged, starts right up.
2. The SAE battery connector is a handy feature.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Lesson learned - keep the battery charged
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 04:48:21 PM »
@CBfromDE welcome here in this hive!
Thank you for sharing your experience.

What I found out, if the scoot has a kickstart feature:
-kicking 3-4 times during cold season before pressing the starter button (even it does not start up and run) then using the electric starter makes it crank easier and saves battery life.
Fully agree with your bullets 1. and 2.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 04:50:01 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 07:18:20 PM »
Welcome.

Ruffus, good tip.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 11:03:14 PM »
+1 for the connector with a dustcap. Very useful.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()