Author Topic: Master switch  (Read 291 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Master switch
« on: August 03, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »
Thought there was a thread on this but could not find...

So, I have a sturdy, 12 volt 50 amp relay  sitting, waiting for me to decide which machine to put it in. Meanwhile, have disconnected wife's People battery and installed a cord that runs outside the battery box and weather cover so I can monitor battery voltage AND conveniently plug into the charger! Several days have gone by and her battery is reading 12.45 after stabilizing. Should be 12.6, I know but hers is several years old. And has been run down a couple of times below 12.0 because she rides so seldom.

A disconnected battery should be very slow to discharge if in reasonable health. That's part of the goal. The other part  is to come up with SOMETHING that will assure the best opportunity to start one of these things since they are so picky about producing a spark!

The capacitor idea really did not do all that much because of the constant drain that seems to be present, probably from the clock. Not a factor in an everyday rider but is huge factor with increasing park times with old folks!

Updates to follow....if I can find this thread!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Master switch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 12:37:42 PM »
@CROSSBOLT, I finally abandoned this idea with super capacitors because of soldering six of them together, costs for really good ones and went in my scoot and in my GUZZIS with LiFePo4 accus.

A little bit more expensive but they keep voltage over month stable.

You get them in nearly any dimension and amperage.

Have until now fourteen month using them. During winter here, not below 0° C no problems at all, though some forums complain about trouble in minus temps.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Master switch
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 09:27:12 PM »
I will bet the seasons in coastal and lowlands of all Mediterranian countries are pretty temperate all year! Perfect for easy starting!

No substitute for a good battery.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()